S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Another engine noise thread. I'd really like Billman's opinion.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Another engine noise thread. I'd really like Billman's opinion.

I'm probably just paranoid, but I'm in love with this car and seriously can't imagine going back to anything else.

This is a relatively short clip of my 2000my running after driving about three miles. The oil was changed (by myself, done right) minutes before the video was taken and the engine was allowed about 5 minutes to warm up before I drove home. The oil in it is Pennzoil Ultra full synthetic 10w30 (api-sm, I know, old shit but the engine calls for sj so whatever) and I added 12oz of zMax to the oil with an oem filter from Honda. I adjusted the valves about 500 miles ago. (intake .008", exhaust .01")

At the very end of the clip, you can hear a 'tick tick tick' noise, around where the injectors are.

I was going to blast the worm gear today but fastenall didn't get the bolt in. Now I'm starting to think it's normal engine noise (the injectors are just noisy) or I'm actually hearing something wrong but can't figure it out.

Only mods to the powerplant is an Invidia Q300 catback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Abd...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-28-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our engines are noisy, you will learn to accept it eventually.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:02 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Why do you use Penzoil "because the engine calls for it". Yet add z-max (pretty sure the engine does NOT call for that). Are you adding 12oz on top of the recommended oil volume?
Old 08-28-2014, 05:07 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

The video does not load for me, but as stated above the injectors, valves, coils, all the noisy shit is right on top. The only real sound that will do you in is rod knock and there typically is no question. Plus these engines are not made of glass and they are about the most economically rebuildable/replaceable performance engine out there, so don't worry yourself too much.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Why do you use Penzoil "because the engine calls for it". Yet add z-max (pretty sure the engine does NOT call for that). Are you adding 12oz on top of the recommended oil volume?
I'm a Ford technician and we have a partnership with Pennzoil. Also at a Sonic dealership, all of which use zMax regularly. I used Pennzoil because it is a quality product that I have used thousands of times in my vehicle and customers' vehicles. I used a little over 5q (engine calls for 5.1q on all data) and it took me to about the 3/4 way mark on the dipstick. Added the zMax and the level didn't really move - as always. 12oz is not a lot of product. I've used it for years and it has never done me wrong.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
The video does not load for me, but as stated above the injectors, valves, coils, all the noisy shit is right on top. The only real sound that will do you in is rod knock and there typically is no question. Plus these engines are not made of glass and they are about the most economically rebuildable/replaceable performance engine out there, so don't worry yourself too much.
Sorry about that, YouTube was having issues. The link should be fixed now.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:15 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Sounds quite normal.

Don't bother messing with the TCT, there is no TCT noise there at all.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds very normal to me
Old 08-29-2014, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by MBHs2k
Sounds very normal to me
Originally Posted by Billman250
Sounds quite normal.

Don't bother messing with the TCT, there is no TCT noise there at all.
Thanks for the replies guys. Makes me feel a little less paranoid about the noises. I've never listened to another S2000 engine so I had nothing to go on.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:57 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Just curious why you use Z-Max?

Quick Reply: Another engine noise thread. I'd really like Billman's opinion.