S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Another diff exploded last night...

Old 02-02-2006, 03:39 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Feb 2 2006, 01:00 PM
Yes, a guy in Houston broke a Comptech diff years ago. He was blown, too. But then, those guys used to drag race backwards.
Actually, he broke it before he got the CompTech part. He got CompTech to sell the to the public. He was the first buyer, after he broke 2 others.

I know of one CT diff that have failed. It was on a forumal D S2000. It failed at the very end of the season.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Feb 2 2006, 05:00 PM
Wesmaster was the 1st comptech housing failure. IIRC, it wasn't the housing that broke, but the gear.
Correct. The bearing caps are intended to prevent the assembly from pushing outward under load.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...opic=20555&hl=
Old 02-04-2006, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm, may i chime in.
how often do you launch this car?
do you know what wheelhop is, or how it feels?
what suspension do you have?

all these factors are gonna save you on your next one, not a comptech. check it. my advice. put on an ap2 delay slave, and couple it with a nice stage 2 pressure plate, say ACT, and a stock disk, and flywheel. now you have a setup that wont SLAM shut and shock your ring and pinion. 2nd, ap1 rear suspension is so stiff, either the car wheelhops like crazy, or breaks loose and just skates forward without letting the car squat (which is what produces traction) weight transfer. so soften up your rear. you choose how, but soften the dampening rate. if you do this, you will never again break another diff. any questions, just PM me and tell me what it is you wanna know. i like to help people with suspension stuff, been a drag racer and launch tech for a long time. lates dave
Old 02-04-2006, 03:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2oooNvegas,Feb 4 2006, 04:05 PM
hmm, may i chime in.

all these factors are gonna save you on your next one, not a comptech. check it. my advice. put on an ap2 delay slave, and couple it with a nice stage 2 pressure plate, say ACT, and a stock disk, and flywheel. now you have a setup that wont SLAM shut and shock your ring and pinion. 2nd, ap1 rear suspension is so stiff, either the car wheelhops like crazy, or breaks loose and just skates forward without letting the car squat (which is what produces traction) weight transfer. so soften up your rear. you choose how, but soften the dampening rate. if you do this, you will never again break another diff. any questions, just PM me and tell me what it is you wanna know. i like to help people with suspension stuff, been a drag racer and launch tech for a long time. lates dave
I have to say that the tires spinning actually saves diffs. The diff still takes the initial "torque shock" as you could call it. But then braking the tires loose makes the torque, in a sense, useless and only burning the rubber. But this is saving the diff. If the rear was to get traction, with a weak diff, yes you'll get a faster launch as the tires aren't braking loose. But the diff is taking all of that initial "torque shock" and dealing with it. When you get traction, you have more of a chance of busting it.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by msm_s2k,Feb 2 2006, 12:54 PM
I lost a Comptech diff last Dec. Replaced it with an 04 diff and haven't had any problems.
thats is what I like to hear considering I opted not to go for the comptech housing but only the 4.57 gears but it does help that I don't really launch my car at all ....
Old 02-05-2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Silver9k,Feb 4 2006, 04:49 PM
I have to say that the tires spinning actually saves diffs. The diff still takes the initial "torque shock" as you could call it. But then braking the tires loose makes the torque, in a sense, useless and only burning the rubber. But this is saving the diff. If the rear was to get traction, with a weak diff, yes you'll get a faster launch as the tires aren't braking loose. But the diff is taking all of that initial "torque shock" and dealing with it. When you get traction, you have more of a chance of busting it.
i agree, thats what im saying. wheel spin wont break a diff, but loading and unloading the R&P is what breaks it. (pufferfish effect). thats why i said what i said.
the diff can take alot of tq and HP, its the suspension and driver that brakes it. about 7 other cars that i know of run our R&P, and they never break. including 500+ hp miatas. the suspension on the ap1, is what causes the diff breakage, and the spin outs. too stiff. notice barely any ap2s have failed. yet i personally have seen several ap1's brake. just knowledge that i have, that i hope will help others. lates dave
Old 02-05-2006, 07:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

cool...so we agree
Old 02-06-2006, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jason00S2000,Feb 2 2006, 01:37 PM
I am now an expert at identifying the sound of a dying diff.

It sounds like a low-speed "whump whump whump" barely audible, when rolling slowly ( 1 mph+ ) in sync with the revolutions of the axle. It sounds like there is something out of round, causing something in the diff to rub against the housing.

First, when the diff starts to go, it's only audible when turning slow speed corners. Then, as the diff egg is getting ready to hatch, it makes the "whump whump" in a straight line.

Then, right before the fertilized diff is about to hatch, the gear whiiiinnneeee starts.

Boom.

Anyone broken a Comptech yet?
Are you still at 11psi?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Fyrestrike,Feb 6 2006, 09:22 AM
Are you still at 11psi?
Yeah still at 11 psi...

ALSO guys, turns out that I blew my axle AND diff pretty much at the same time. The teeth on the axle were destroyed AND some other part of the axle was totally cracked.

$1200 in parts, and tomorrow my S will be back on the road!
Old 02-06-2006, 04:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=S2oooNvegas,Feb 4 2006, 06:05 PM] hmm, may i chime in.

all these factors are gonna save you on your next one, not a comptech. check it. my advice. put on an ap2 delay slave, and couple it with a nice stage 2 pressure plate, say ACT, and a stock disk, and flywheel. now you have a setup that wont SLAM shut and shock your ring and pinion. 2nd, ap1 rear suspension is so stiff, either the car wheelhops like crazy, or breaks loose and just skates forward without letting the car squat (which is what produces traction) weight transfer. so soften up your rear. you choose how, but soften the dampening rate. if you do this, you will never again break another diff.

Quick Reply: Another diff exploded last night...