S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Another clutch problem

Old 03-19-2006, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another clutch problem

my S is 2002. I had a clutch replacement done at 8K miles. A few hard launches, my fault I guess. After the clutch replacement, I have been very easy with the clutch. About 18K miles my clutch started to get real soft, and wouldn't engage until the very end. the clutch fluid was a little low, so I flushed it with new fluid (old fluid looked pretty normal). The pedal feels nice and smooth, but still engages at the very end. I don't think I've lost any fluid, so I'm assuming there aren't leaks. Master cylinder looks okay, so I'm thinking that there is a problem with the slave cylinder.

Where is the slave cylinder located, by the clutch pedal or on the tranny?

What else could be causing the problem?

If I end up replacing the slave cylinder, do I need to replace the master also?

any advise on an aftermarket cylinder would be great.

The bad clutch has made my driving experience awful, so I need to fix this ASAP. I know there are numerous threads on this, and I looked but couldn't find any help.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The master is on the firewall in the engine bay. That's what your pedal plunger pushes into. The slave is on the side of the tranny.
You can't tell the condition of a clutch master or slave from "looks". Both can be leaking internally and you'd never see it on the outside.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:40 PM

Thanks again for all you help Xviper, I didn't get replied for while, but I knew you'd come to the rescue.

Judging by the situation, is it safe to assume that the problem is one or both of the cylinders?
Old 03-19-2006, 09:32 PM

I've got a leaking slave cylinder, and have the same symptoms you do. Is it necessary or or advisable to replace the master cylinder when you do the slave cylinder? I have no clue, but I've heard it said when you replace the slave, the master will soon need to be replaced as well.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Amit,Mar 19 2006, 05:58 PM
wouldn't engage until the very end.
If a clutch pedal was soft due to air in the system or some type of leakage, the clutch would engage very early and low, not up high.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say your clutch is worn out again.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RACER,Mar 20 2006, 02:19 AM
If a clutch pedal was soft due to air in the system or some type of leakage, the clutch would engage very early and low, not up high.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say your clutch is worn out again.
RACER has a very good point. Don't go buying new clutch cylinders just yet till you do some tests to find out if your clutch is slipping again from wear.
However, that statement about being low in fluid in the reservoir must not be discounted to quickly. Did you witness it going down? Or do you think it was never really full to begin with?
A fluid leak would promote clutch drag. A worn out clutch would result in slip.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be pressure plate weakened, though I haven't seen that happen in years. More likely air in the clutch hydraulic line. I don't yet have any experience with S2000 clutches, having just gotten mine last week, but I've worked on other cars with hydraulic clutches, mostly the Mark 1 MR2. The clutch hydraulics can be hard to bleed. I use a combination of a hand vacuum pump at the slave cylinder bleed valve and cracking the MC line while assistant presses pedal. You've got to get the air out of the MC. I always prefill it before installing. Even then some air gets in while I'm connecting the line. I don't bother with this step on the slave cylinder.

Don't forget the pedal adjustment. I presume the S2000's have a threaded pushrod between pedal clevis and MC like my MR2 does.

HTH

Bob Peitzke
Old 03-20-2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by oldtrlrnr,Mar 20 2006, 04:51 PM
More likely air in the clutch hydraulic line.

engages at the very end.
This tells me that the clutch is engaging late
If there was air in the system, the engagement would be early.

What could be causing the problem?
The driver.

If I end up replacing the slave cylinder, do I need to replace the master also?
It wouldn't be a bad idea, but that would be like asking "if I had to replace a brake caliper, would I have to replace the brake master cylinder?" It may not always be nesessary to replace both at the same time. If a clutch master is not leaking and the piston is perfectly sealed, I personally would not change it on my car.

any advise on an aftermarket cylinder would be great.
As far as I know, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the OEM clutch master and slave cylinder's.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:19 PM

I just had a new slave cylinder installed today, and its back to normal for me. I bought the part from HT Guy, and the shop charged 50 bucks labor. Not too shabby.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by 4wheelVFR,Mar 20 2006, 08:19 PM
I just had a new slave cylinder installed today, and its back to normal for me.
was your clutch engaging low?

Quick Reply: Another clutch problem