S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Annoying rattle, Transmission?

Old 10-10-2012, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying rattle, Transmission?

I'm banging my head against the wall trying to figure this out. I took the car to Honda and they claimed to have fixed the rattle by replacing the engine mounts but here I am $900 poorer and the rattle remains.

The noise only occurs when pressing the gas pedal with the engine above 3,000 rpms. The noise is present with clutch engaged and disengaged, in gear or in neutral. It sounds like the noise is still present as high rpms but it's difficult to hear it over the engine noise.

I did run the car about 100 miles with the oil cap off, I checked the oil afterwards and only lost 1/2 quart of oil at the most. The noise started a few weeks after that incident.

Anyone have any ideas? I've searched around and the most common problem seems to be the throwout bearing however the noise remains with the clutch pedal pressed down as long as I give it gas.

A buddy and I plan on taking apart the transmission once we're a bit more confident it's where the noise is actually coming from.

I captured a video of the noise @
[media]http://www.youtube.com/embed/D2Ndoyx5lag[/media]
Old 10-10-2012, 08:01 AM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

Simple. Your missing oil cap is sitting on top of the transmission. That is the rattle. I'd put $100.00 on it.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

yup sounds like the oil cap. Damn $900!!! ouch
Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, that really sucks....Honda definitely raped you on that one.... Unless your mounts were leaking grease...they were perfectly fine. Shame on you Honda... Definitely sounds like your oil cap rattling against the tranny.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:04 AM

The reason you can tell it's not anything mechanical as far as engine/transmission is there is absolutely no harmonics to it. It is not a constant noise in time with the motor or the tranny. It's simply the oil cap rattling due to vibrations against the transmission. Taking apart the transmission isn't for the feint of heart and definitely wouldn't help you out. Well, technically it would because upon removal of the transmission (a fairly tedious process) the oil cap will have fallen out, solving your problem, but you'll have wasted a good 4 or 5 hours of your time doing so.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the replies. I put the oil cap back on after I discovered it was off, it feel behind the engine but I was able to grab it and replace it no problems. The noise started a couple weeks after putting the oil cap back on.

As for the mounts, If they were telling the truth they needed to be replaced anyways. They said on one of the sides the engine was sitting on the metal.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:11 AM

It is possible that there is another oil cap from a previous owner that fell back there, or even something else....and it just now got dislodged and is able to create vibrations/noise?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
It is possible that there is another oil cap from a previous owner that fell back there, or even something else....and it just now got dislodged and is able to create vibrations/noise?
Could be but not very likely. I've had the car at least 5 years and 50k miles.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM

After jacking the car up it turns out the noise is due to one of the exhaust sensor lines not being screwed into the transmission. Nothing major

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 241 Likes on 180 Posts

Ahh, its the bracket!

Quick Reply: Annoying rattle, Transmission?