S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Amuse Exhaust Resonator Rattle

Old 02-13-2005, 12:51 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote name='StinkyTofu' date='Feb 13 2005, 01:37 AM'] Good luck with that Mav, let us know how it works out for you.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the dual ARC Ti's and it began to rattle the same way... the ARC doesnt' have heatshields, but after looking under I saw that it was breaking at one of the welds... Ti is so damn thin and hard to weld, noone wanted to weld it for me, also everyplace said that Ti welding has to be extremely clean.. and a car exhaust isnt the cleanest place on the car

It was like a "tin can" rattling sound coming from the midportion... but in any case, and this is from a $3k+ exhaust... jus goes to show you that jus because its expensive, doesnt mean its unbreakable..
Old 02-13-2005, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same rattle sound on my 350z's amuse exhaust.
the rattle sound goes away after few track.
guess its a comon problem for amuse's exhaust.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:42 PM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update: The biggest news for today that there is no news and another day that my S2000 is not driveable thanks to the very un-amusing rattle.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hopefully you get this taken care of asap. keep us posted.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:55 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tommy, I just read this thread, I have a question for you are you sure one of the hangers isn't hitting something? I use to have a rattle as well and couldn't figure out what was causing it. Had a few people look at it and everyone concluded that it was the exhaust or cat. I finally did some investigating and found that one of the hangers on the exhaust was close enough to something that it would bang against it causing the rattling sound. Mine had been doing it so long that it was actually causing a dent in the metal on the car. The hanger was fine though.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:59 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Guedo512' date='Feb 12 2005, 11:30 PM
highly doubt it. you can't directly contact amuse really, you have to go through bulletproof.
As Mav already pointed out, totally false statement. Bulletproof is currently the only authorized retailer for Amuse products. But Amuse USA has been established by Amuse Japan, there is contact information available on their website. They do want a very big buy-in probably which makes it unfeasible for most shops, but it will happen eventually.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:10 AM
mav

Originally Posted by turbo_pwr' date='Feb 15 2005, 09:55 AM
Tommy, I just read this thread, I have a question for you are you sure one of the hangers isn't hitting something? I use to have a rattle as well and couldn't figure out what was causing it. Had a few people look at it and everyone concluded that it was the exhaust or cat. I finally did some investigating and found that one of the hangers on the exhaust was close enough to something that it would bang against it causing the rattling sound. Mine had been doing it so long that it was actually causing a dent in the metal on the car. The hanger was fine though.
After we found out that the sound was definitely coming from the resonator area, the tech played with the hangers and the rubber thingies (not sure what they're called) to make sure that it wasn't banging against the car or anything else. Then he checked the hanger itself to make sure it wasn't coming loose from the resonator. When I was underneath the car, the sound was definitely coming from inside the resonator itself.

I also took the car to a trusted family friend, who is the shop foreman at another local Honda dealer, and he found nothing wrong with the exhaust on the outside. Nothing is loose. Inside the exhaust is a different story.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mav' date='Feb 15 2005, 10:10 AM
After we found out that the sound was definitely coming from the resonator area, the tech played with the hangers and the rubber thingies (not sure what they're called) to make sure that it wasn't banging against the car or anything else. Then he checked the hanger itself to make sure it wasn't coming loose from the resonator. When I was underneath the car, the sound was definitely coming from inside the resonator itself.

I also took the car to a trusted family friend, who is the shop foreman at another local Honda dealer, and he found nothing wrong with the exhaust on the outside. Nothing is loose. Inside the exhaust is a different story.
One quick fix would be to order som 3" ti tubing and get someone to cut out the resonator and put in a straight pipe.

Of course:

I have someone near me who can weld Ti but it can be hard to find someone who can do it.

It will be a fair amount louder

You really should not have to do it, judging by some of the posts I have seen, this is a common occurance with the Amuse exhaust
Old 02-15-2005, 10:53 AM
mav

Finding a local shop that works with Ti is impossible.

Quick Reply: Amuse Exhaust Resonator Rattle