S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Amuse exhaust gone quiet on me

Old 09-02-2004, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amuse exhaust gone quiet on me

Help me please!!! UK S2000 owner

I bought an Amuse Dual Titanium and had it fitted last week. A couple of days later, I had an HKS racing header fitted too. The noise was fantastic but now it's all gone wrong.

basically, over the last 2 days, it has got quieter and quieter and now I have a car sounding like stock. It also "feels" to be down on power too.

What can my problem be?

Has my shiny new exhaust collapsed on me hence no noise and reduced power?
Has my cat packed in?

I'm hoping someone can help as sending the exhaust back to America with all the associated shipping costs is not my idea of fun.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybee you got used to the sound. my amuse sounded great the first week, then i got used to it and it just sounded deeper than stock.

unless your header supressed the sound. ive heard of headers making cars sound quieter.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you are kidding, it's more likely you are getting used to the sound then anything else. If you don't see the piping smashed in anywhere and are feeling airflow coming out of the tailpipes, there is nothing wrong with the exhaust.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:02 PM
gsp

I have killed many cats and I am sure the S2K cat has the same type brittle material in it. If your cat was dropped or banged up the internals could be clogging you up.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep an eye on the resonator canister, it is the weak link in the system. If your cat is failing it will take this out.

Mine got weird and we haven't done a post mortum yet so I don't know what or why. It did not get quiet but I did find the engine quiets down a bunch when it warms up and the Amuse is not loud at road speeds. Very nice actually.

Old 09-02-2004, 12:27 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sideways,Sep 2 2004, 03:12 PM
Keep an eye on the resonator canister, it is the weak link in the system. If your cat is failing it will take this out.

Mine got weird and we haven't done a post mortum yet so I don't know what or why. It did not get quiet but I did find the engine quiets down a bunch when it warms up and the Amuse is not loud at road speeds. Very nice actually.

Hey now, don't leave out the part where your exhaust was purchased used and fixed. Oh yeah and the ungodly amount of extra hp that you are running compared to him.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:11 PM

All exhausts quieten down after the first couple of days as the packing in the mufflers breaks in. My Amuse quietened down somewhat as well in the first week.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you using a sound level meter to measure the noise? Maybe you are just losing your hearing.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kRob,Sep 2 2004, 07:11 PM
All exhausts quieten down after the first couple of days as the packing in the mufflers breaks in.
WTF? Please back this up with data. It does not agree with any of my 12 years of experience as a noise control engineer.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

All the aftermarket exhaust systems I've had on any car has only gotten louder little by little over time.
I would suggest that either you have gotten used to the initial sound OR, something was contaminating the inside of your new header and got blown into the cat and plugged it.

Quick Reply: Amuse exhaust gone quiet on me