S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Amsoil or LE 1605?

Old 02-16-2011, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 qt is fine. Easiest way to do it is with a $5 lube pump from Kragen and soak the quart of oil in hot water.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amsoil sells the pump that fits the 1-qt diff fluid bottle perfectly. I ordered at the same time as the fluid and it made it a bit easier.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:02 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Originally Posted by RWD_RCKT,Feb 16 2011, 04:46 PM
I have used both with a 4.57R gearset and the LE1605 whined more than Amsoil.
that is interesting to know, I have heard that these diffs can exhibit more whine with certain fluids/viscosities.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I ran the 1st gen 4.57R gearset from the HTG. The LE was quieter for about the first 200 miles - and then forget about it. Part of that was how poorly the 4.57s were set up by the HTG's diff guy (at the time), and the fact the 4.57s were just plain noisy. The LE came out filthy every time. Amsoil (after the second change) came out extremely clean - only slightly darker after 10+K, and little to no fuzz on the mag drain plug.
I switched to Amsoil and it was much quieter over the life of the gear oil. Amsoil didn't get noisier over time - it essentially stayed the same for 10K+ miles per change.
I currently run 4.44 from Puddy Mod Racing (top-notch diff) and the gearset is silent - as good or quieter than stock. I run Amsoil because of the consistency, product quality, and the fact the gear oil comes out at change time significantly cleaner than any other gear oil I've used.

The link below shows a white paper commissioned by Amsoil, though an independent and Certified lab (independent labs can't afford to stake their reputation and income on singular tests - they have to remain objective to maintain certification - and therefore to remain viable). The test shows a comparison of several gear oils.
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf

Critical analysis can create strange bedfellows in certain circumstances - if your analysis ignores the facts. Therefore, I offer the following thoughts to consider:
1. the argument against the results: "Amsoil paid the lab to perform the tests and analysis, and that should automatically indicate a bias."
1a. I would argue Amsoil doesn't have the financial basis to override legitimate test results over significantly larger and better funded petroleum giants. Amsoil is a tiny company compared to all the other companies represented in this test. Additionally, companies that specialize in empirical testing will NOT stay in business if they bias results based on the paying client. The only thing they have going for them is objectivity and accuracy. Another point of to quell any contention over the results is the fact every oil company represented in this test individually repeated these results in their own labs - and would have sued in a New York minute if the tests were even questionable or overtly biased.
The tests demonstrate the breadth of gear oil requirements - and show that the benefits in a given oil are in how well the oil is able to effectively cover ALL of the categories, and not just performance in just one or two areas. Amsoil did not finish first in several of the tests - but performed in the top 10% or better in ALL of the tests - to include passing all of the pass/fail tests. No failures - top-notch performance in all categories - reasonable price = the only gear oil for my car.

In short - I'd stay with Amsoil if it cost $6 more per quart - based on its overall performance. You be the judge.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:36 PM

Received 465 Likes on 397 Posts

Same here;4.56 gears from Richmond,and I use Amsoil 75W140
Old 02-16-2011, 06:43 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Purchase your Amsoil products this month, there is a 5-15% increase coming next month.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Feb 16 2011, 11:28 PM
I ran the 1st gen 4.57R gearset from the HTG. The LE was quieter for about the first 200 miles - and then forget about it. Part of that was how poorly the 4.57s were set up by the HTG's diff guy (at the time), and the fact the 4.57s were just plain noisy. The LE came out filthy every time. Amsoil (after the second change) came out extremely clean - only slightly darker after 10+K, and little to no fuzz on the mag drain plug.
I switched to Amsoil and it was much quieter over the life of the gear oil. Amsoil didn't get noisier over time - it essentially stayed the same for 10K+ miles per change.
I currently run 4.44 from Puddy Mod Racing (top-notch diff) and the gearset is silent - as good or quieter than stock. I run Amsoil because of the consistency, product quality, and the fact the gear oil comes out at change time significantly cleaner than any other gear oil I've used.

The link below shows a white paper commissioned by Amsoil, though an independent and Certified lab (independent labs can't afford to stake their reputation and income on singular tests - they have to remain objective to maintain certification - and therefore to remain viable). The test shows a comparison of several gear oils.
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf

Critical analysis can create strange bedfellows in certain circumstances - if your analysis ignores the facts. Therefore, I offer the following thoughts to consider:
1. the argument against the results: "Amsoil paid the lab to perform the tests and analysis, and that should automatically indicate a bias."
1a. I would argue Amsoil doesn't have the financial basis to override legitimate test results over significantly larger and better funded petroleum giants. Amsoil is a tiny company compared to all the other companies represented in this test. Additionally, companies that specialize in empirical testing will NOT stay in business if they bias results based on the paying client. The only thing they have going for them is objectivity and accuracy. Another point of to quell any contention over the results is the fact every oil company represented in this test individually repeated these results in their own labs - and would have sued in a New York minute if the tests were even questionable or overtly biased.
The tests demonstrate the breadth of gear oil requirements - and show that the benefits in a given oil are in how well the oil is able to effectively cover ALL of the categories, and not just performance in just one or two areas. Amsoil did not finish first in several of the tests - but performed in the top 10% or better in ALL of the tests - to include passing all of the pass/fail tests. No failures - top-notch performance in all categories - reasonable price = the only gear oil for my car.

In short - I'd stay with Amsoil if it cost $6 more per quart - based on its overall performance. You be the judge.
What viscosity of Amsoil were you running ?, this is great real world experience info. on this subject, very helpful.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I run Amsoil Severe Gear (SG) 75W110 year-round (Florida).
However, Ben recommends I run the SG 75W140 (with a SAE 250 mix) with my current 4.44 Stage 4 diff (Puddy Mod racing) - and I will if I get the car on the track.

My car is almost exclusively street driven - and the 75W110 covers every condition my car has to contend with - even when driven aggressively.

You can go as low as SG 75W90 with no problems on an OEM diff - especially in the winter.

OEM on the track: I recommend the 75W110, or 75W140 for extreme track use.

The Severe Gear line is the best gear oil currently available IMHO (not based on a 'feeling' - based on data).
Old 02-17-2011, 03:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some excellent inputs from people who can compare products. Unfortunately, I don't see any wear analysis.

I like the AMSOIL white paper and applaud them for doing it. But they didn't test any products that are useful for us. It does point out how poor the oversight is in the industry though.

I've been using LE607 and 1605 ever since the OEM fill was changed out. The OEM fill was dark, thick and clumpy (sludged). Mineral gear oils tend to sludge above 180F, so this stuff must have been getting pretty hot. All of the 607 and 1605 drains I've done showed no evidence of sludge or discoloration of the fluid, except for the first one. It was a little darker than new 607, but I didn't do a quick flush with thin mineral oil like you are supposed to before switching brands of fluids. So I will attribute that drain appearance to residual OEM fluid.

I have done several UOA's of 607 and 1605 over the last several years, and they all look as good or better than anything else I've seen for our application. UOA's only show very small particle size objects, and gears can tend to wear in larger chunks. But I do have some faint gear whine between 50-60MPH when letting off on the throttle. This could just be related to a particular gear set harmonic, or a backlash problem. But the noise is there when the fluid warms up to operating temp. I would characterize it as a tolerable annoying whine, sort of like my wife.

I'm seriously considering trying LE 9920 Synelec 75W-140 next before the Texas heat of summertime arrives. I want to talk to LE about the switch first to check on additive compatibility issues and whether I need to flush the diff first. I'll let you know how that works out if I decide to do this.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Feb 17 2011, 12:47 AM
I run Amsoil Severe Gear (SG) 75W110 year-round (Florida).
However, Ben recommends I run the SG 75W140 (with a SAE 250 mix) with my current 4.44 Stage 4 diff (Puddy Mod racing) - and I will if I get the car on the track.

My car is almost exclusively street driven - and the 75W110 covers every condition my car has to contend with - even when driven aggressively.

You can go as low as SG 75W90 with no problems on an OEM diff - especially in the winter.

OEM on the track: I recommend the 75W110, or 75W140 for extreme track use.

The Severe Gear line is the best gear oil currently available IMHO (not based on a 'feeling' - based on data).
thanks for the replies on this. I put Amsoil 75w140 in my diff for this season after running 75w110 last season. I'm thinking it may be overkill for a stock s2k street driven only in warm conditions. It was likely an over-reaction when I drained my 75w110 last fall and the fluid didn't look so great, I don't know if it was cleaning up years of sludge from other fluids run by the previous owner or if it was the fluid itself. I probably just over-reacted. I had sent in a sample of my 75w110 for analysis but the damn thing got lost in the mail and I couldn't send in a new sample, sucks big time.

Quick Reply: Amsoil or LE 1605?