S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Amsoil 75W90 Synthetic in the differential

Old 02-04-2012, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INDYMAC
Where do you keep finding LE 607? It's been discontinued for several years now. LE 1605 is the replacement.

They are either still making it, or they are using up bottles with old labels. My source gets new cases of LE607 every few weeks. Local in vegas. One of LE's wherehouses is here also.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:27 PM

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

So after perusing this thread, i'll use AMSOIL 75w110 in the Diff in the summer for towing a tire trailer (450lbs total weight) on the highway (1 to 5 hours) to autoslalom events.

Sound good to the higher powers?

darcy
Old 02-05-2012, 05:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
just did my diff fluid today,..had 20k miles on the LE that was in there, lots of auto x's, no metal, no smells.....first time i have refilled it with something else, amsoil, 75w 110, only because i found it locally.
If I read this right - you changed from LE to Amsoil 75W110. I wouldn't go on that fill for an extended period of time. Those fluids are very different, and you'll find the LE leaves a lot behind in the diff. The next time you change your fluid - the Amsoil will come out a lighter, but similar color to the LE, as the Amsoil will clean out the residual LE. This was my experience. The following change will be much cleaner.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:07 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by slipstream444
Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer' timestamp='1328400650' post='21384336
just did my diff fluid today,..had 20k miles on the LE that was in there, lots of auto x's, no metal, no smells.....first time i have refilled it with something else, amsoil, 75w 110, only because i found it locally.
If I read this right - you changed from LE to Amsoil 75W110. I wouldn't go on that fill for an extended period of time. Those fluids are very different, and you'll find the LE leaves a lot behind in the diff. The next time you change your fluid - the Amsoil will come out a lighter, but similar color to the LE, as the Amsoil will clean out the residual LE. This was my experience. The following change will be much cleaner.
so you are saying since LE is so darn thick that no all of it came out so there is a good mixture in the diff now???
i guess if i am reading this right, this is the reason many people will "flush" it with the fluid they are putting in,...for example, just as you said, drain the amsoil very soon.......
Old 02-05-2012, 12:05 PM

anyone using 75w140? i just bought some for funzies... Too thick???
Old 03-14-2012, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC
I used to recommend Amsoil SVT 75W-110 for Arctic climate use instead of LE 1605. But that was before I started seeing a couple of recent Amsoil gear oil UOA's. I thought JFUSION had posted his recent UOA, but he must be having some trouble doing that. Right now, I'd recommend M1 75W-90 for our northern friends. At least I've one good UOA from Xviper on that gear oil in the S2000.
I don't argue theories, I just like to review real world evidence to make my decisions.
What negative Amsoil SVT 75w-110 UOA's did you see for cold use? Can you please link or post them?
Old 03-14-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer' timestamp='1328400650' post='21384336
How long would you suggest to run a first change to Amsoil SG 75w-110/140, Amsoil MTF, and SSO 0w-30? And is 75w-140 optimal for street/autox use?
Old 03-15-2012, 03:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by legend4life
Originally Posted by INDYMAC' timestamp='1326458961' post='21313386
I used to recommend Amsoil SVT 75W-110 for Arctic climate use instead of LE 1605. But that was before I started seeing a couple of recent Amsoil gear oil UOA's. I thought JFUSION had posted his recent UOA, but he must be having some trouble doing that. Right now, I'd recommend M1 75W-90 for our northern friends. At least I've one good UOA from Xviper on that gear oil in the S2000.
I don't argue theories, I just like to review real world evidence to make my decisions.
What negative Amsoil SVT 75w-110 UOA's did you see for cold use? Can you please link or post them?
Sorry, I don't have permission to post any Amsoil UOA's. Maybe the people that own them will post the actual UOA's.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO.. good quality trans & diff fluids should last about 15k-20k miles under ordinary use.I personally change the trans & diff fluids in all my cars every spring (April) regardless of the miles which is usually 10-12k.

I use the SSO 0-30 oil in all my cars too and I like to change it every 5k or so.The oil should be good for at least 10-15k miles under normal conditions.

For colder climates,I would use the SVG 75-90 rather than the 75-110.

\rlr
carolina
Old 12-22-2012, 02:06 PM

I drive my car in summer at 30 degre AND in cold winter at -30 degre, what is the best for me: AMSOIL 75W90S severe duty or 75W110S severe duty? I never go on track but i have 4.77 and hard driving it!

Originally Posted by neurotic' timestamp='1325985236' post='21295572
[quote name='slipstream444' timestamp='1325981983' post='21295495']
Combining two different viscosities will not result in a viscosity somewhere in-between. It's like mixing baseballs and volleyballs together - you don't get softballs. There is likely no harm in mixing the same brand 75W110 mixed with a 75W140. Mixing different brand fluids is a bad idea as components in the additive packages of different brands may not play well.
There is possibly some benefit to mixing a single viscosity oil with a multi-viscosity (in hot conditions) if the straight viscosity oil falls in the range of the multi-viscosity (typically at the thick end of the range).
Really, then what would you get with a 75W-90/75W-140 mixture?

Additionally, how do you think lubricating oils are created?

EDIT:

To further expand the first question, if you mixed fluids with 100 degC viscosities of 15.2 & 24.4 cst why would you expect the mixture's viscosity to be >24.4 or < 15.2 cst?
Here's the easiest way to describe what's going on - A 75W110 molecule is essentially a fixed length/size for any given temperature - and a 75W140 molecule is slightly larger for any given point in the operating range (think a helix type of arrangement that expands with temperature) - but the 75W140 being a larger molecule expands to a larger size at the hot end of the operating range (the 75W140 obviously has a larger Viscosity Index - and consequently uses significantly more VIs to give it a broader range than the 75W110 - but it's base oil uses a larger and more dense molecule).
Mixing the two does not magically recombine the molecules into average sized molecules - you just have two different sized molecules mixed together. If the diff sits for any period of time - the two fluids will separate due to their differing densities, at least until things start moving around again.
Try your own experiment - vigorously mix a 75W110 and 75W140 in a mason jar and then let it sit. Even though they are similar in color, you will see them eventually separate (think Black and Tan - just not as dramatic of a color difference). I've done it before - and they do separate over time.

Can this cause a problem? I don't know - but the tech service guys at Amsoil don't recommend it except in very specific instances (you'll have to ask PuddyDad about that one). The biggest issue you can get into is possible foaming - which can be a problem. Once again, if you are using the same brand - I think the likelihood foaming will happen is certainly much less than if you mix different brands.
A diff is not very complex and I don't expect there would be a major problem with mixing a 75W140 with a 75W110 (of the same brand and product line). However, unless you have a specific reason for doing so and have bounced this off the guys that understand the properties of the fluids they make (Amsoil for instance) I don't recommend the practice. Amsoil recommends their SG 75W110 for all S2000s - which is what I use (they list all of their GL5 75W and 80W90 weight oils as well - but the lead gear oil guy at their tech services stated the 75W110 is the best fit for the S2000's diff).

Another point that was brought up by Amsoil Tech Service is that thicker gear oil (75W140 or any of the LE industrial lubes folks are promoting here) is better suited for slow speed/high load applications. If your car never sees highway speeds for more than short periods of time - that may be more appropriate. However, the consequence of a higher viscosity oil is higher temperatures. If you compared two identical diffs, one running 75W110 and the other running 75W140, the diff running the lower viscosity oil will run cooler - especially as speed increases. Under normal driving conditions the higher viscosity oil will run hotter and this will lead to more wear - and likely why JFUSION was seeing increased smudge on the mag plug at drain time. The first fill with 75W110 will not have cleaned all the old redline sludge out - and certainly was only beginning to clean things out. The 75W140 likely increased wear and didn't do much to clean anything out. I would have opted for a short run with a 75W90 to help clean all the buildup out of the diff.

The only time I think I would recommend the 75W140 in an S2000 diff would be if the diff and car were modified and used in high load conditions (1/8 and 1/4 mile drag racing for instance). If this is all your car does - then your diff will likely benefit. If you mostly drive your car in a daily capacity - even if you drive spirited to very aggressively, to include tracking the car - the 75W110 will be the fluid you want to use - and will provide ALL the protection your car will need. If you don't track your car and the diff is OEM, but still drive it with purpose (the way it was meant to be driven) - a 75W90 will work just as well, provide all the protection you need and give you the best mileage.

The bottom line is gear oil viscosities (and types) have a very specific purpose and a higher viscosity does NOT equal less wear, better lubrication or better performance (the "more does not equal better philosophy"). If you run your car mostly on the highway - the last viscosity I would choose would be a 75W140 (or any of the LE offerings - which are non-synthetic gear oils designed for industrial applications). Similarly, a 75W90 is also not optimal for a purpose built S2000 for drag racing.

Lastly (and most importantly) - there is no oil that will protect your car (and its components) from stupidity, neglect and/or abuse.
[/quote]

Quick Reply: Amsoil 75W90 Synthetic in the differential