S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AMSOIL 10W30 impressions after 6K miles

Old 12-07-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AMSOIL 10W30 impressions after 6K miles

Hey guys,

Just did my first full 6K run on AMSOIL Signature Series Full Synthetic. I wanted to post my impressions.

I drove the car 6 K miles, hit VTEC here or there. I baby my car and even more so after I had to do a diff replacement earlier this year. Over the 6K miles I added 1 quart to always keep the oil at the top X.

So it was getting pretty dirty so today I did a change with the same oil. I was shocked to feel the oil had not lost any of its viscosity or lube properties. 6K miles later this oil felt brand new with the exception of the color of course. I compared new and old oils and both felt identical.

I think I could have used this oil safely for another 6K miles without worry of engine wear. I’m very impressed because other oils like Castrol or Valvoline didn’t have the same feel from new to used oil. I could always tell the old oil had broken down some but not the AMSOIL.

Price wise the change cost me 70 bucks for the 7 quarts (1 quart as a spare) and 12.99 for the OEM filter so about 83 bucks. Sure I could have used Castrol Edge and saved 30 bucks but id rather spend the extra 30 to keep my motor clean and healthy.

I’m going to try 8K miles this time. And I won’t ever put any other oil in my car again or any future cars I own. Super impressed with AMSOIL and so worth the money.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:08 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

the colour of used oil means nothing, don't ever judge an oil change interval based on colour. That oil can easily go 10k-12k miles and probably even longer. If you want to find out how long you should run an oil have some used oil samples analyzed at various intervals and you will get a good idea of how long to run your oil. It is money well spent IMO.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
the colour of used oil means nothing, don't ever judge an oil change interval based on colour. That oil can easily go 10k-12k miles and probably even longer. If you want to find out how long you should run an oil have some used oil samples analyzed at various intervals and you will get a good idea of how long to run your oil. It is money well spent IMO.
Yeah I was thinking of doing an analysis on the oil which im glad you mentioned because I have a question about that. At what point during the drain do I collect the oil, should it be hot or cold and how much should I collect?

And yeah I think im gonna go to 10K on the fresh AMSOIL I did today...
Old 12-07-2013, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Speakeasy2009
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1386461335' post='22912384
Yeah I was thinking of doing an analysis on the oil which im glad you mentioned because I have a question about that. At what point during the drain do I collect the oil, should it be hot or cold and how much should I collect?

And yeah I think im gonna go to 10K on the fresh AMSOIL I did today...
I always do mine at the end of my oil run at time of change. I drain the oil hot, and I take a mid-stream sample, so not as soon as you open the drain bolt but not near the end of the drain either, about mid-way through the drain.

You can take samples during the oil run if you like, it will be a bit more messy and you will lose maybe one quart depending on how long it takes to pull off the drain bolt and then reinsert it after taking the sample. Its not bad idea as long as you don't mind the mess, it doesn't take long to fill the oil analysis bottle that comes with the sample kit.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:59 PM

Glad you like the Amsoil SS oils....they are good stuff.Can easily go 15k miles or more.IMO....it's a good idea to change the filter half way thru your planned run.

What weight did you use? I run Amsoil 0w30 SS on my S2K,Z06 & GST.The EXV & CRV take the Amsoil 0w20 SS.

BTW....SS 0w30 is $8.15 qt ( Preferred Customer Price) and a good filter ( I use Wix #51334) is about $6.

\rlr
Carolina
Old 12-07-2013, 09:16 PM

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
You can take samples during the oil run if you like, it will be a bit more messy and you will lose maybe one quart depending on how long it takes to pull off the drain bolt and then reinsert it after taking the sample. Its not bad idea as long as you don't mind the mess, it doesn't take long to fill the oil analysis bottle that comes with the sample kit.
Fumoto valve makes it easy to do. If you get the one with a nipple you can just attach a plastic line to the desired container and hit the valve for exactly oil as you want. Close and your done. No spilled oil, no burned fingers or hand. Love it. When you do an oil change you don't even have to get under the car. Can do it all from the hood.

http://www.fumotousa.com
Old 12-07-2013, 09:22 PM

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

i tried amsoil. wasn't my cup of tea. didn't like it in my bike or car
Old 12-08-2013, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1386462857' post='22912406

Fumoto valve makes it easy to do. If you get the one with a nipple you can just attach a plastic line to the desired container and hit the valve for exactly oil as you want. Close and your done. No spilled oil, no burned fingers or hand. Love it. When you do an oil change you don't even have to get under the car. Can do it all from the hood.

http://www.fumotousa.com
^ yeah that's true, I didn't think of that. That is a pretty good method of sampling oil.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread makes me chuckle.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by INDYMAC
This thread makes me chuckle.

Quick Reply: AMSOIL 10W30 impressions after 6K miles