S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Amsoil

Old 10-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

ill be getting a fumoto valve for my STI, lucky it has a cover underneath.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I don't mind getting something else at Wal Mart (Mobil1 0-30W 5qts for $25) and with a Honda oil filter just change the oil every 3 thousand miles. Why run Amsoil many thousands of miles more just because you can?
Why change oil just to change it? Best in general is to use UOA's instead of just arbitrarily picking a number but each needs to make the call. For some, there's no benefit to changing every 3,000. Different people have different priorities.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

dominator racing oil is for track cars only, it does not last very long in a street driven car, but it will protect the engine at very high oil temps.

If your car doesnt burn oil the signature series 0w30 is great, if your car burns oil or you change it alot run the xl 0w30. signature series runs around $10 a quart, xl is around 6-7 a quart.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was NA I would run Amsoil Signature Series for 7-8 thousand miles. Now that I'm supercharged I'll be changing my oil every 3 thousand so spending so much on Amsoil isn't worth it for me.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:58 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by wadzii
dominator racing oil is for track cars only, it does not last very long in a street driven car, but it will protect the engine at very high oil temps.

If your car doesnt burn oil the signature series 0w30 is great, if your car burns oil or you change it alot run the xl 0w30. signature series runs around $10 a quart, xl is around 6-7 a quart.
how about OE 5w30? any info on that?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:00 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldnt run the oe in anything really.. Its not much cheaper than the XL and doesnt hold up to abuse. I have seen some cam wear in k-series cars running the OE oil.

Let me know if you want any, I can get you a pretty good discount if you buy it by the case.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Community Organizer

even in short OCI's? i figured it would be atleast equal to Pennzoil Ultra. which im currently running and its holding up fine.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Gatsbee13

just bought 4 gallons of Amsoil XL 10-30 direct through Amsoil... im currently running signature series (and have been for about 20k)but i dont see the need since i change my oil every 5-6k miles (like most here).. you can get a free Amsoil preferred customer account if you google it.. thats how i got mine.. the more you buy from them, the cheaper the shipping.. i think its about 10$ for a gallon of amsoil shipped and a little less than $10 for 4 gallons.. not exact but somewhere around what i was quoted..

The Amsoil XL 10-30 is 5.85/qt with wholesale pricing.. thats the price you get when becoming a preferred customer
Old 10-17-2013, 10:12 PM

Received 1,652 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX
Originally Posted by cosmomiller' timestamp='1381883778' post='22829536
I also use a Fumoto valve to make it real easy; I can change the oil w/o getting under the car. Its all done from the engine bay.
Are you not worried about the valve malfunctioning or coming open accidentally?

Fumoto -- Disaster Averted -- Barely

Fumoto Valve Incident

Fumoto Drain Valve FAIL
No I am not. If the figures are correct, a few failures out of 7 million are pretty good odds. One failure seemed to be a manufacturing defect which surfaced immediately. The other two were from off road and on road damage from debris. If I hit debris in the S I am going to have additional issues.
I was pretty careful in the install and checked it often in the beginning. Now I take a look every now and then. Has been bullet proof for over a year and three oil changes. Also put one on my MDX. Same. I made sure that in the final tightening the valve happened to be in the "upright" straight position so I could tell if something was amiss. That position also places the action lever at the top of the valve, making it unlikely for it to be moved inadvertently.
There are more problems with the oil filter loosening and causing a fire than this. I did talk with some who had it and every one loved them. I am sold on them.
If I did it again, I might get the one with the nipple so you can attach a plastic hose for perfect fills in a bottle.

Originally Posted by takeshi
Originally Posted by cosmomiller' timestamp='1381883778' post='22829536
I don't mind getting something else at Wal Mart (Mobil1 0-30W 5qts for $25) and with a Honda oil filter just change the oil every 3 thousand miles. Why run Amsoil many thousands of miles more just because you can?
Why change oil just to change it? Best in general is to use UOA's instead of just arbitrarily picking a number but each needs to make the call. For some, there's no benefit to changing every 3,000. Different people have different priorities.
Yes they do. I actually enjoy puttsing on the car and I have no problem changing the oil. I like clean oil. Makes me feel good. Do I get a UOA? No, I could but I don't.
I must say I followed the engine maint (maint minder) reminder for my Acura MDX. That came in around 6-7K miles per change. I peeked inside around 100,000 miles and was shocked how dark golden the metal was. I have never had a car that looked like that. I accelerated the oil change rate to 3K in the hopes I can clean it out a bit.
The S is nice and silver.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the 5w40 Euro blend stuff. I'm SC'd and autox frequently.

Quick Reply: Amsoil