S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Amsoil

Old 10-15-2013, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil

Amsoil ...what kind do you use if you , drive often and in cold weather ...also visit the track a few times a year , there seem to be many to choose from 10w -30 wise ....what do you use and why . My questions comes from seeing the XL oil at over $10 per quart and the other 10w-30 at less than seven .
Old 10-15-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I personally would use Castrol Syntec 0w-30 in that scenario. Its not Amsoil like it seems you are asking about, but its a group 5 synthetic (real synthetic), its got excellent protection for hard use, and since its a 'zero weight' when 'cold', its great for cold starts in cold weather.

Its also readily available off the shelf in most parts of US at AutoZone, for a decent price.

I'm sure there are other great choices, this is just one suggestion.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use MTF. That's all so far.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 309 Posts

I have used the ASMoil Signature series which is their best oil since getting my S. I also use their MTF and Diff fluid. Look in your local subforum and see if anyone has a dealer account. If not sign up for one as I think it is all of $20 or something and you get discounted pricing. I have to renew mine and it said I had saved about $225 because of the account. I used it in Phoenix in over 110 degree temps and now in Seattle where is does get fairly cold and never had an issue.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
I have used the ASMoil Signature series which is their best oil since getting my S. I also use their MTF and Diff fluid. Look in your local subforum and see if anyone has a dealer account. If not sign up for one as I think it is all of $20 or something and you get discounted pricing. I have to renew mine and it said I had saved about $225 because of the account. I used it in Phoenix in over 110 degree temps and now in Seattle where is does get fairly cold and never had an issue.
Check out the "Dominator" series racing oil from Amsoil
Old 10-15-2013, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I personally would use Castrol Syntec 0w-30 in that scenario. Its not Amsoil like it seems you are asking about, but its a group 5 synthetic (real synthetic), its got excellent protection for hard use, and since its a 'zero weight' when 'cold', its great for cold starts in cold weather.
If by "cold weather" you mean below -10F, then yes. Otherwise, a 5w oil is going to be a better choice for cold starts.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:57 PM

I use the signature series 10w-30. I just posted a UOA of it on here. Seems to be holding up well after 4k miles.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:36 PM

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 9g
Amsoil ...what kind do you use if you , drive often and in cold weather ...also visit the track a few times a year , there seem to be many to choose from 10w -30 wise ....what do you use and why . My questions comes from seeing the XL oil at over $10 per quart and the other 10w-30 at less than seven .
I did spring for the MTF but I have not put it in yet.

Amsoil is pretty pricey, many say it is the best thing since sliced bread. I don't mind getting something else at Wal Mart (Mobil1 0-30W 5qts for $25) and with a Honda oil filter just change the oil every 3 thousand miles. Why run Amsoil many thousands of miles more just because you can? I also use a Fumoto valve to make it real easy; I can change the oil w/o getting under the car. Its all done from the engine bay.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I also use a Fumoto valve to make it real easy; I can change the oil w/o getting under the car. Its all done from the engine bay.
Are you not worried about the valve malfunctioning or coming open accidentally?

Fumoto -- Disaster Averted -- Barely

Fumoto Valve Incident

Fumoto Drain Valve FAIL
Old 10-15-2013, 07:16 PM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

i actually just purchased some of the amsoil OE 5w30 for my autocross car since ill be changing oil frequently so that made my choice to not run the SSO. if i get the chance ill do a UOA for the first time. i figure i can get the amsoil OE for cheaper than pennzoil ultra why not give it a shot. i searched and no one here runs the OE stuff.

Quick Reply: Amsoil