S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

am i burning oil?

Old 11-11-2007, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am i burning oil?

Hello all,

I changed my oil about a month ago and noticed that i only took out a little under 3 quarts of oil. This is what initially got me concerned. After that, I would check my oil level almost everyday and it seems like the oil level gets slightly lower and lower everyday, maybe it's just me though. Also, today my friend was driving behind me and he told me that he saw a little bit of grey/black smoke come out of my exhaust during acceleration onto a freeway.

Now my question is, are these symptoms of burning oil? If so, what could be the problem and how much is going to cost to fix? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thx!

btw, my car has about 51k miles and i use 10w-30 mobil 1 synthetic oil about every 6,000 miles, but now I am going to start changing my oil every 3,000..also, i rarely drive my car hard
Old 11-12-2007, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by marlonRocks,Nov 12 2007, 12:35 AM
Hello all,

my car has about 51k miles and i use 10w-30 mobil 1 synthetic oil about every 6,000 miles, but now I am going to start changing my oil every 3,000..also, i rarely drive my car hard
I use Mobil 1 5w-30 motor oil. I drive rather spirited every time I drive it (it's not a daily driver), and I dun't burn that much oil. Being that I dun't drive the S that often, I base my oil change interval on time and not milage. For someone who uses the S as a daily driver and racks up miles within a reasonable time frame, and keeps the rev's down, a 3k mile oil change interval is a tremendous waste of time, energy and money.

Originally Posted by marlonRocks,Nov 12 2007, 12:35 AM
my friend was driving behind me and he told me that he saw a little bit of grey/black smoke come out of my exhaust during acceleration onto a freeway.
This is totally normal for a high reving Honda motor (not just the S2000). My Del Sol did the same thing.

[QUOTE=marlonRocks,Nov 12 2007, 12:35 AM]I check my oil level almost everyday and it seems like the oil level gets slightly lower and lower everyday.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I burn about a quart every oil change (5000 miles M1 10w30). But I beat on my car rather hard and have also had friends tell me about the black smoke out back, no big deal.

I check my oil level every 500-750 miles and before long trips, never a problem
Old 11-12-2007, 05:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I've gathered reading over the years about Mobil1, is that the S2000 likes to burn it a little more frequently than other brands.

If you change brands will it stop? Probably not, just food for thought.

Maybe u should look into changing the PCV valve, Under the FAQ, DIY thread under Engine Stuff

If you are burning as muchas you say you are there could be other things that you'll need to look into, but I'll let someone else say so on that.

Try searching oil consumption
Old 11-12-2007, 08:16 AM

With the AP1 model , the pcv valve sticks into the valve cover vertically. The inserted tip of the valve is less than 1/2 inch from a steel baffle plate. This plate tends to pool oil on the pcv side of the valve cover when you car is in right hand sweeper. Depending on the aggressiveness of the turn, it is at this orientation that allows the valve to siphon oil directly into the intake. I've seen the smoking at the track.

Honda redesigned the valve cover and pcv for the AP2 models. The AP2 pcv valve screws horizontally into the valve cover; positioning the tip 90 degrees away from the baffle plate thus increasing the distance from where the oil would usually pool. This fact plus a re-metering of the new valve reduces the chance of oil sucking into the intake resulting in reduced oil consumption and fuel contamination. Not too many AP2 owners complain of oil usage.

Thoughts, suggestions, ridicule?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:57 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

RACER Posted on Nov 12 2007, 01:08 PM
For someone who uses the S as a daily driver and racks up miles within a reasonable time frame, and keeps the rev's down, a 3k mile oil change interval is a tremendous waste of time, energy and money.
Why mention the "revs down"?
Not needed IMO.
Severe according to Honda has to do with lots of short trips, dusty roads, frequent traffic jams, ect.
Honda doesn't mention high revs as a factor IIRC.

Modern day true synthetic engine oils can stand the, what Honda calls "severe" usage, for a long time.
Longer then 3000 miles.
A UOA will prove it.

The OP should keep records of how much engine oil is used.
When cold and parked at a level spot, fill up till the topX, note the milage, then drive.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Nov 12 2007, 10:57 AM
Why mention the "revs down"?
Not needed IMO.
Severe according to Honda has to do with lots of short trips, dusty roads, frequent traffic jams, ect.
Honda doesn't mention high revs as a factor IIRC.
I go through about 3/4 of a quart (nearly a full quart) in one trackday (about 150-170 miles). True, it is a well known fact that continually making trips that are less than 5 miles is considered "severe driving", and Honda states that in the Owners manual. The fact is, continuous high speed driving is also considered severe driving. Honda does not mention this in the Owners manual, but they should

Would you utilize an oil change interval of 5-6k miles (8-10k kilometers) if you drove continuously at high speed on the autobaughn, say 20-25 minutes at a time, say 3-4 days a week, and maybe 5-6 hard track days, and throw in a little bit of stop and go driving negotiating rush hour traffic?

I don't think so.

You ask "why mention rev's?" I can't believe you said that. I think your one of the more knowledgable peeps on this forum

Old 11-12-2007, 12:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

when i used mobil1 10w-30 it burned about 1qt every 3000 miles, then i switched to elf 5w-40 and it doesn't burn anymore
Old 11-12-2007, 12:52 PM

thanks for the replies...so the most cost effective way of fixing this is to change the brand and thickness of the oil that i use? if so, what brand and thickness do you guys recommend? i am using 10w-30 mobil 1 synthetic right now and would changing the brand and thickness be bad for the car?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:10 PM

10w-30 is the recommended weight for our cars, but you could try 5w-40. It is ok to change brand as long as you fully drain the crankcase.

Someone please chime in on the stipulations of switching in between synthetic and conventional. A few peeps at an auto parts store told me that you cannot switch to back to conventional oil after using synthetic

Quick Reply: am i burning oil?