S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Alternator

Old 05-14-2008, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again guys....I have not checked the fuse inside the car,only the one under the hood.
HTG---I'll try that this weekend and see if it is the case.Thanks for that SB.Its hard to do all this when your working 16 hour days so........I'll keep you guys informed.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:20 AM

Ever find out what was the cause? I am having the same problem. I just bought a new battery and had my alternator rebuilt (bad regulator). I drove last night and after about 25 min I started losing functions until my car died.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteNukl,May 12 2008, 04:28 PM
Also I was told that if you disconnect the Pos terminal from the battery while the car is running and the car quits then the alternator is bad.....Is that true?

Bill
Not necessarily. Many cars WILL run with the battery disconnected. There are a LOT that won't. You can also fry the ECU and/or body computer on any car - whether it will or won't. I'm not sure I have the stones to try this on my S2000 to give you an answer...

Sleeper
Old 06-15-2008, 05:23 PM

Where is everyone getting their replacement alternators? Mine is on its way out, only putting out 12v's.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:13 PM

i got my replacement at oreilys for 160 plus the core. im having the same issue anyone think it could be a bad wire
Old 01-04-2011, 08:27 AM

I had a problem on my ap1 now. got my top down for a run on the expressway and drove by a gas station to fill up (everything was normal till I turn my car off). after filling up my car won't start. I asked some help from a few people to push my car to have it started.luckily my house was just about 3kms away. along the way when I switched on the "bright" front lights of my car the eps signal started to blink. then the eps light retained then next is the abs light. then my radio started to shut off. my defi gauges dimmed and my headlights died as well. each happened on a series one by one. luckily I got home, had my ap1 to sit for a while then tried to start it and it won't. after a while my gauge came back to normal, my radio works fine as well as my defi gauges and my headlights are ok.

I tried to troubleshoot some fuses and I can't find the exact alternator fuses on the cabin and under the hood. I found out that my eld fuse inside the cabin was blown that is fuse no.6 and my fuse no.25 also blew.

now my car still wont start... hoping that replacing those fuse will fix my problem and my ap1 will start tomorrow morning after having my battery recharged. (im from the Philippines so its about 1:30am here right now)

now I want to ask where is the exact alternator fuse on the cabin and under the hood for me to have it checked tomorrow morning?
and what does the eld unit do literally? sorry for my very ignorant question

forgot to mention that my mechanic removed my alternator and returned it back before having that run on the expressway thing that i've mentioned above.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are atempting to diagnose an electrical problem you need a meter. Sears has a cheap one for around $10 if not harbor frieght has it even cheaper.

Do the above mentioned tests and then..

Check to see the resistance is on the cable from the starter to batt, and then from the batt to the alt. They should be at or around .2 ohms (the starter is concidered part of the charging system do to the way its wired.) If not replace cable. Make sure the terminals are corrosion free and tight. Loose terminals will cause these symtoms as well

Next do the same test on the ground side. Neg terminal to chassis, alt case to chassis and starter case to chassis.

Whatever u do. Do not pull cables off battery while car is running. You WILL fry the voltage regulator on the alt. The battery acts as a big capcitor in the charging system and when not in place overloads the alt.

Lastly we need actual on car voltage readings of engine off key off of batt. Key on engine on at idle and at 3k all on bat. Then a key on engine on on the alt to further help you.