S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Alternator

Old 05-13-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, tried to jump it and it hesitated to start but turned over.Let it run for a while and turned the car off.Went to start it again and it wouldnt turn over.Also checked every fuse under the hood. This sucks..
Old 05-13-2008, 04:03 PM

whitenukl you have a PM.

how long did you let the car run? did it just idle or did you drive it around? are we sure that the alternator and battery are connected properly? when you turn the key to the on position, do the dash lights come on like normal?

on a long shot, have you traced the positive cable from the battery to the starter to see if it has rubber somewhere along the chasis? it could have chaffed away its rubber insulation and grounded to the car.

is there any corrosion around the ground terminal on the battery and where it connects to the chasis?

james
Old 05-13-2008, 04:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

When you start a car you take a huge chunk of energy out of the battery.

Letting it 'run for a while' is nowhere near enough to replenish this.

So in short you have drained your battery further.

Get a battery charger and bring your battery up to full charge.

Put a multimeter across the terminals: you should see 12V.

Now start the car.

Put a multimeter across the terminals: you should see 14.4 volts.

If you see the 14.4V your alternator is charging your battery.

If you see 8-12V it is not.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:28 PM

Thanks guys..I'll try to take the car to advanced or somewhere tomorrow and see if they can do this test for me since I dont exactly have a multimeter laying around.If there is a short somewhere wouldnt the fuse be blown?I pulled all the fuses and checked them..they're all good.....plus if there was a short and it blew a fuse then the car wouldnt start again right?If I let the car sit for a while after a failed attempt to start....then try again,it'll turn over for me.I'll take it to advanced tomorrow.Thanks for all the replies guys..
Old 05-13-2008, 07:15 PM

this may sound dumb, but i had somewhat of the same problem not long ago, and it was all about the connector behind the alternator under de rubber boot. It wasnt screwed on tight enough, so it kept geting looser. That obviously lit up everything in my car, then dimmed down everyhting. When i would shut off the car and try starting it again, it wouldnt work..

so maybe that would do it
Old 05-13-2008, 07:25 PM

My fuse isn't blown either but I haven't replaced the alternator yet cause autozone says its ok... I wonder if they had put a load on it to see if it holds @ 14.4V. Keep us informed I'm taking mine out tomorrow at work. Hate it.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I had my alternator tested by an auto electrician recently.

They strapped it down, put a belt on it and ran it up. They have contacts on the output of it with a variable load and tested it. It came up fine.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:50 AM

There is a fuse for the alternator in the cabin and under the hood. Have you checked both areas?
Old 05-14-2008, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteNukl,May 13 2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks guys..I'll try to take the car to advanced or somewhere tomorrow and see if they can do this test for me since I dont exactly have a multimeter laying around.If there is a short somewhere wouldnt the fuse be blown?I pulled all the fuses and checked them..they're all good.....plus if there was a short and it blew a fuse then the car wouldnt start again right?If I let the car sit for a while after a failed attempt to start....then try again,it'll turn over for me.I'll take it to advanced tomorrow.Thanks for all the replies guys..
Where are you getting the replacement alternators from? I have heard horror stories about the quality of the rebuilt ones. I would not be surprised if you have just had a few bad rebuilds. By the way is the voltage regulator inside the alterntor on the S2K like many other Hondas?

John
Old 05-14-2008, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Danks2k,May 14 2008, 02:50 AM
There is a fuse for the alternator in the cabin and under the hood. Have you checked both areas?
The one under the hood is fine. Which one is the one in the cabin. Its not on the list. Is it under a different name? Radio? Cause that works..ignition? which is it? or what cabin? By the feet right?

Quick Reply: Alternator