S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Alternator

Old 05-10-2008, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator

Can someone please help me with a DIY alternator install.I've searched and read the DIY's and 9 pages of the techinal thread and still cant find anything about the alternator.It went bad...I pulled it and had it replaced and I cant get the damn thing to go back in.Is a special tool needed or something?I know it sounds retarded but the bottom wont go into the bracket..I've tried everything>Some pictures of an install would be VERY helpful...or any advice.Cars just sitting in the garage right now until I get a response that may help.Thanks ALOT in advance..

Bill
Old 05-11-2008, 03:35 PM

ok well I got the alternator in.NOW can someone PLEASE help me and give me some advice as to whats wrong with my car?Long story short......the car died while driving..threw an EPS,ABS light, all the lights dimmed and the car just died.Had it towed to a shop and was told the alternator was bad but the battery was fine.had them instal a new alternator.2 weeks later the car did the same thing.Pulled the alternator myself and installed a new one yesterday...the car still wouldnt start.Pulled the battery and took it to advanced and was told the battery was bad..was only holding 2 volts under load.Bought a new battery and installed that.The car ran fine yesterday.Just drove it about 6 miles and all was well.Cut the car off and now it wont start.PLEASE someone help...Thanks

Bill
Old 05-11-2008, 04:23 PM

Did you check the voltage output and amperage of the new alternator? And did you check for a voltage draw? Those are what i'd check out.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:03 PM

I had the same problem once. Check your alternator fuse in the fuse box under the hood. It has to be blown. Secondly you probably have a short somewhere which is causing it to blow so you gotta trace that. I had this problem because of the solenoid with the two small vaccum lines got into the serp belt and ripped out the wires shorting it out. If you have a cold air intake it is a good chance you might have the same problem.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Danks2k,May 11 2008, 06:03 PM
I had the same problem once. Check your alternator fuse in the fuse box under the hood. It has to be blown. Secondly you probably have a short somewhere which is causing it to blow so you gotta trace that. I had this problem because of the solenoid with the two small vaccum lines got into the serp belt and ripped out the wires shorting it out. If you have a cold air intake it is a good chance you might have the same problem.
Thanks for your help.....I checked the fuse and it doesnt appear to be blown..so I took your advice and traced and the wiring that I could from the alternator as well as checked vacuum lines and everything appears to be wrapped and in place.It does appear that the original owner may have had an intake because i see the soleniod your referring to(i think) and it is close to the serp belt but is wrapped tight and not touching anything and there are no wires hanging loose.I have the stock airbox currently.Also I was told that if you disconnect the Pos terminal from the battery while the car is running and the car quits then the alternator is bad.....Is that true?If so then something else has to be wrong because this is the 2nd new alternator in 2 weeks...any more advice? Thanks

Bill
Old 05-12-2008, 05:12 PM

It really seems like the fuse. If you keep installing alternators and they dont work its because the fuse is keeping power from the alternator to get to the battery. Therefore you car will just run on the battery until it dies.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:25 PM

[QUOTE]
Old 05-13-2008, 02:31 PM

one possiblity for both of you guys having trouble is that the battery might not be fully charged. when the battery sits on the shelf at the store, over time it looses charge. the amount of driving you did with the new battery in might have not been enough to fully charge it. have either of you tried either charging the battery or getting a jump and letting the car idle/drive it around for a while?

james
Old 05-13-2008, 02:33 PM

Yep your car is doing the same thing mine is.I checked the fuse and Im positive that the fuse is not blown.Checked all wires that I could and traced them fromt the wiring harness and nothing seems to be out of place,cur,or touching something that it could short out on.When I disconnected the Pos terminal the car just died.It started again today when I got home but hesitated on the start.Does that mean another alternator is bad?Man I need some help....
Old 05-13-2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by shotgunjimmy,May 13 2008, 02:31 PM
one possiblity for both of you guys having trouble is that the battery might not be fully charged. when the battery sits on the shelf at the store, over time it looses charge. the amount of driving you did with the new battery in might have not been enough to fully charge it. have either of you tried either charging the battery or getting a jump and letting the car idle/drive it around for a while?

james
Thats worth a shot....I'll try jumping it and seeing how that goes.Thanks

Quick Reply: Alternator