S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Alternative Clutch suggestions

Old 03-23-2002, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative Clutch suggestions

Alright. I've gotten a bit tired of the slipping '02 clutch. It may be because of the master and/or slave cylinder(s). They will be checked by the dealer on Wednesday.

However, the clutch plate, stinking like a cat box, has slipped too many times for my taste. I figure the plate has been scorched.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative plate? I'd like a stronger, non-slipping, more durable clutch plate.

So, what do you suggest? Advantages? Disadvantages? Cost? Warrantee?

I don't dump the clutch, but I don't drive like a grandma.

Thanx
Old 03-25-2002, 04:46 AM

best clutch that i had good experiences w/ on my other cars (non-s2k) was ACT Extreme pressure plate w/ street disk. i'm also planning on puttiing a ACT clutch on my s2K
Old 03-28-2002, 08:35 AM

ACT STREET DISC IS THE BEST. BUT I WOULD GET THE ACT HD PRESSURE PLATE TOO.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:04 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 311 Likes on 149 Posts

I've had good luck with the Spoon setup. While you're at it, you might consider a lightweight flywheel, also. The combination produces a very grippy, responsive feel to the clutch action.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by S2000RAT
ACT STREET DISC IS THE BEST. BUT I WOULD GET THE ACT HD PRESSURE PLATE TOO.
hate to burst your bubble, but the ACT street disk is the exact same thing as the Honda OEM clutch disk. There is ZERO difference in the two, other than the scraped off Honda name and number.

The ACT pressure plate offers ~20% more gripping power which is good. However, working with Star clutches, customers are quite happy with what Star can do for their cars. Interested in a stage I, II, III or even IV clutch disk with ~25% more gripping power (different methods of improvement than ACT) - send me a PM/email. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

YEAH ME THINKS TOO

lol, the ACT street disc for the S2000 is an OEM disc, and they only offer the HD version of the pressure plate.

I went with Toda/ACT combo with an OEM disc, I can only describe it as OEM clutch action, just a stiffer pedal and a little more grab, and the Toda rev's quickly.

A search will yield MUCH discussion on these mods.
Old 03-29-2002, 06:54 AM

SCHATTEN, Hate to burst your bubble but dawn at ACT said all ACT disc are made by them, not honda of japan. Plus star clutchs suck! Do the fastest imports in the world run star NO they run ACT. Also star clutches are cheap, if I was going cheap I would of bought a MR2.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

S2000RAT: I hate to burst your bubble but they are lieing to you. Try to take information from people who are trying to sell you something with a grain of salt. The ACT S2000 Clutch IS in fact just an OEM disk w/ the honda stuff scratched off. You do pay a premium for the scratching tho

I have the Start Stage III clutch & Star PP. I have driven 2 cars w/ ACT PP's and there is no comparison. Star is hands down, THE clutch and/or PP to have for this car.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove hecash's s/c'd S last night, in fact, and it has the Star clutch. I have the Spoon assembly and I like mine OK (again, it's just an OEM disk with stiffer springs), but his clutch was AWESOME. I'm not sure what stage it is...but I'm going to take my stock plate and disc and send it to Star to have them do their magic on it so that when I have to replace mine I'll have the Star ready to drop in.

Very smooth, positive engagement...I can't wait for mine.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:56 AM

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

My experience in my Prelude with a JUN lightened flywhee (chromoly), and a Stage III Clutch Masters Clutch (half kevlar/half ceramic) has been awesome!

I'd love to have that same setup in the S2000, however, I am not sure of JUN's intentions on releasing a lightened flywheel and the intentions of Clutchmasters for releasing a clutch for our cars.

In the meantime, I have had two OEM clutches and both work very well, but damn that clutch buzz. I have had it with the buzz, and after driving hecash's car, I too will be doing the Star Clutch upgrade.

The only way I can describe the Star clutch feel in Hecash's car is in the following: "It's like making monkey love with honey being the friction/lubricant juices on Chinese silk sheets!"

Quick Reply: Alternative Clutch suggestions