S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Also used GM syncro mesh FM but

Old 07-25-2004, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Also used GM syncro mesh FM but

Yeah i removed the 1 quart redline mt-90 and 1 qt Lucas synthetic stabilizer, and i put in the GM Syncro mesh FM but now the grind almost feels worse and i grinded 4th too when i was really on it. Would this be my clutch now? I think that is the next thing i am going to change out is the clutch. If that don't work its time to bust open the tranny and change some syncros out. Anyone have any ideas let me know??? thanks
I took the lucas out of the rear diff also and put in Mobil 1 75-90 is that cool?
Old 07-25-2004, 05:11 PM

Ouch...you're using that Lucas oil product I wouldn't

It makes a bunch of claims that are HIGHLY suspect...

Increase oil life at least 50% longer
Reduces oil consumption
Eliminates dry starts
Raises oil pressure
Increases power and miles per gallon

Many oil additives that has made the claim....."increased power and MPG" are under investigation by the FTC or have already been forced to remove such claim. I wouldn't believe it and it makes the product highly suspect until I see real independent data.

As for the rest most people use Honda MTF......Personally I'd be worried about a 3rd/4th gear grind. 2nd is common but I've never heard of any other gear having this problem consistently. You may need to/want to get the tranny checked out....
Old 07-25-2004, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD,Jul 25 2004, 05:11 PM
Ouch...you're using that Lucas oil product I wouldn't

It makes a bunch of claims that are HIGHLY suspect...

Increase oil life at least 50% longer
Reduces oil consumption
Eliminates dry starts
Raises oil pressure
Increases power and miles per gallon

Many oil additives that has made the claim....."increased power and MPG" are under investigation by the FTC or have already been forced to remove such claim. I wouldn't believe it and it makes the product highly suspect until I see real independent data.

As for the rest most people use Honda MTF......Personally I'd be worried about a 3rd/4th gear grind. 2nd is common but I've never heard of any other gear having this problem consistently. You may need to/want to get the tranny checked out....
No i took the lucas crap out and put in GM Syncro mesh FM
Old 07-25-2004, 05:51 PM

Give Royal Purple Synchromax a try.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:01 PM
Former Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 315 Posts

The other option is the 3rd gear synchro is trashed.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Jul 25 2004, 07:01 PM
The other option is the 3rd gear synchro is trashed.
Well in my last car i used to race i developed the second gear grind real bad. I changed the gear lube in that to redline mt-90 and it helped it but did not solve the problem. When i then changed out the clutch to a ACT street strip and that did the trick. Do you not think a new clutch would solve the problem?
Old 07-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah but you didn't really switch to MT-90 if you mixed it 50/50 with that Lucas boar mucus. That was 50% good oil and 50% elephant snot and I guarantee it didn't do your transmission any favors.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ludedude,Jul 25 2004, 09:00 PM
Yeah but you didn't really switch to MT-90 if you mixed it 50/50 with that Lucas boar mucus. That was 50% good oil and 50% elephant snot and I guarantee it didn't do your transmission any favors.
lol
So what is better redline mt-90 or GM syncro mesh FM?
I still have some redline but i am running the GM stuff now and still getting the grind.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:11 AM
Former Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 315 Posts

I would highly doubt a new clutch is going to fix your problem. If the clutch wasn't releasing it would grind in every gear.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

When I recommended GM Synch FM, I thought you were having a 2nd gear grind. Most people have found that the 2nd gear synchros in the S2000 are fundamentally flawed, and are very sensitive to the tranny oil. I don't believe that is the case for 3rd gear grinds. If you are getting grinds in 3rd and 4th, I think something is damaged. It could be the synchros, bearings, gears, or shift forks.

I agree with Slows2k that it is probably not the clutch if it is only causing problems in 3rd and 4th. Even if it is the clutch, you might find that flushing your clutch fluid and adjusting the pedal might improve the clutch action. If you clutch is engaging / disengaging at the lower end of the pedal stroke, then you might get some relief by raising the engagement point.

Quick Reply: Also used GM syncro mesh FM but