S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

All rev no power

Old 09-25-2013, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I usually change the oil myself but they had sent me a little 25 dollars off maintenance so i decided to have them do it. I understand where you're coming from because there have been situations where Ive taken previous cars to them and they would rack up the bill with more repairs. I did by chance smell something off when I pulled the car into my garage so that could also be it. But i do plan on giving them a call later today. Everything's up to par oil wise. It couldn't of been more then 30 miles since i took it in. And i am hearing the vtec sound like the loud whine it makes but there is absolutely no engagement or power after about 3-4k WOT
Old 09-25-2013, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ctorre06
Yeah I usually change the oil myself but they had sent me a little 25 dollars off maintenance so i decided to have them do it. I understand where you're coming from because there have been situations where Ive taken previous cars to them and they would rack up the bill with more repairs. I did by chance smell something off when I pulled the car into my garage so that could also be it. But i do plan on giving them a call later today. Everything's up to par oil wise. It couldn't of been more then 30 miles since i took it in. And i am hearing the vtec sound like the loud whine it makes but there is absolutely no engagement or power after about 3-4k WOT

Who knows what those morons did to your car. They could have accidently done all sorts of damage under the hood you wont see right away. Maybe the idiot smacked a sensor or something..who knows...One member here blew his diff using the wrong fluid given to him by the dealership. If you value your car never go back there or to any Honda dealership again.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^Agreed with never taking your car to a dealership for service.

It sounds like a simple case of a slipping clutch man. How many miles are on the clutch? I remember when my clutch started slipping it was kinda sudden... Like one day it was driving fine then the next I could feel it slipping pretty obviously. It wasn't a really slow transition or anything. Just saying that it could just be poor timing that it started slipping so soon after the Honda oil change, not that the tech did anything wrong. But still, don't get serviced at a dealership anymore, lol.

Find a local s2k owner to do your clutch swap for you (or help you do it).
Old 09-25-2013, 10:05 AM

Yeah after hearing your guys opinions on the dealers im nver going back to them! Thanks alot fellas. But I am not too sure on the mileage on the clutch. I am the 3rd owner AP1 with 80k so it could just be the original clutch. I guess it gives me a good reason to purchase a stage 2 lol
Old 09-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Just get your self a new clutch
Definately the issue, from everything you've said. It's hard to know if the dealership did anything to contribute to this or not but I've heard enough horror storys to be regardless. Depending on how it's treated AP1 OEM clutches are known to last over 100k. My original clutch lasted a little over 120k.

Evan
Old 09-25-2013, 12:07 PM

Yeah after hearing your guys opinions on the dealers im nver going back to them! Thanks alot fellas. But I am not too sure on the mileage on the clutch. I am the 3rd owner AP1 with 80k so it could just be the original clutch. I guess it gives me a good reason to purchase a stage 2 lol
IIRC when I had my AP1 ('00) I read that it was common for that year to need a clutch replacement right at about ~80k miles on average.
Do you have a '00?

Might be just this... but I agree with everyone else on not taking a car to the dealership. Finding a trusted mechanic is like trying to find a trustworthy babysitter for your kid; few and far between (from what I hear, I don't actually have kids yet lol).
Old 09-25-2013, 01:18 PM

It actually is! So that could very well be the case. What would you guys recommend? A clutch kit ie science of speed, competition or just the single clutch itself exedy? Oem or stage 2?
Old 09-25-2013, 04:45 PM

It actually is! So that could very well be the case. What would you guys recommend? A clutch kit ie science of speed, competition or just the single clutch itself exedy? Oem or stage 2?
From what I've read on these boards I believe a lot of folks like to stick with the OEM clutch. I thought of upgrading if/when my clutch goes out to something a little stiffer but I think most have said if you don't need that extra strength on your clutch (aka stage 2+ or something) that you won't enjoy driving the car as much as if you would have replaced it with an OEM.

I do know the OEM clutch is a good one.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:22 PM

You can go for something like the ACT PP if you wanna spend 500 bucks. Other than that, clutch disk, pilot and TO should all be OEM. if you don't use an OEM disk you will most certainly have clutch buzz..
Old 09-25-2013, 05:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you aren't going SC or turbo then I don't think there's any reason to go with an upgraded clutch. OEM clutch is great!

Quick Reply: All rev no power