S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

All rev no power

Old 09-24-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All rev no power

Hey fellas just recently had by cars oil changed at my local dealer and my S has been experiencing some strange problems i cant seem to figure out. I was pulling onto the freeway and i could tell I hardly had any power trying to pick up speed. When i would shift into a higher gear the revs would drop about 2k and would just hop up and down. I would put the pedal all the way down to see if i could pick up speed and all it would do is just rev all the up to redline not putting out any power. I tried looking up what it could be but I havent been able to find anything that would fix it. I tried doing the MAP sensor whack and that did nothing, even bought a new one and that did nothing either. Cleaned my air filter and checked all my plugs. Couldnt find a thing. I was thinking it was in limp mode but from what i read my car shouldnt be revving past 3k? Could it possibly be bad gas or the oil change? Again, when driving the car I try to accelerate only to have the car rev all the way up to 9k not engaging vtec and not putting forth any power, just slowly picking up speed forcing me to just shift through the gears. All help is appreciated. Thanks fam
Old 09-24-2013, 07:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like your clutch is slipping.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:56 PM

How do you check without physically taking it out? I know you can put it in a high gear and you let off the brake or something
Old 09-24-2013, 09:47 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

How can you check? Step on the gas wile moving in gear and if the motor revs out and your still going the same speed, your clutch is fried. Sounds like it matches your description.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like clutch slippage, as mentioned above. Do the test that Junky mentioned to confirm, although from what you describe, you are aleady getting those results.

Were you having this issue before you took it in for an oil change, or was it only immediately afterwards?
Old 09-25-2013, 05:44 AM

30Mph with a 5th gear pull, if your rev jumps but no change in speed then your clutch is slipping. Also as mention above ^ was this happening before your oil change or after if it happened after the oil change, im pretty sure those mechanic took your car out for a joy ride.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:43 AM

It was right after! I haven't experiencing any kind of problems with the clutch the whole year I've had owned the car. Thanks for the advice. I had a feeling it was the clutch but everyone i had asked said it sounded like a computer/sensor issue
Old 09-25-2013, 06:47 AM

Did you drop the car off and leave it while the worked on it? Sounds like the person who changed went out and had some fun and burnt the clutch out.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:37 AM

Is Vtec engaging? Can you hear the audible difference at 6k and above?
Have you personally checked the level of your oil? Any codes/ check engine lights??

Any odd smells while trying to accelerate? Clutch slippage is usually accompanied by a distinct smell.

You really should've taken the car back to the mechanic that changed the oil or at least made a documented complaint.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by MR.T
Is Vtec engaging? Can you hear the audible difference at 6k and above?
Have you personally checked the level of your oil? Any codes/ check engine lights??

Any odd smells while trying to accelerate? Clutch slippage is usually accompanied by a distinct smell.

You really should've taken the car back to the mechanic that changed the oil or at least made a documented complaint.

Every time I have taken my Honda's for dealer work I always need to go back for some major repair. They alert me that something needs to be replaced soon, then a few days later all hell breaks lose. I feel Honda dealerships create problems with cars so the driver will bring the car back for an expensive repair. Every time, and I mean EVERYTIME I went to a Honda dealership for any kind of work it always turned into something that costed me major $$$. That cant be coincidence..and if it were up to me id close down all dealer based service nationwide. They do not hire good techs, usually guys who got fired from Jiffy Lube for not reinstalling a drain plug right. Billman and few select others here are the only people who should touch your s2000 if you want it to last and not cost you $$$ to maintain.

Do all your fluid changes yourself. You save a ton of $$$ and at least you know what was done to you car.

Quick Reply: All rev no power