S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Are All OEM Piston Skirts Coated?

Old 07-05-2014, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are All OEM Piston Skirts Coated?

Are all the original equipment Honda piston skirts coated? The pistons in my 2002 F20C have a black coating on the skirts, but the skirts on a 2001 engine I'm looking at buying do not appear to have the same coating present and are aluminum color. Both are definitely Honda pistons with the same casting code on the dome. It's odd to me the skirts are different and I was hoping some of the experts could shed light on it. None of the Honda press releases list adding the coating as an '02 change but perhaps it was a running change like the 4 hole oil jet bolts (which my late '02 block has).

On a used block, would be coating being present still make a difference? It's mostly worn through on my original engine so I doubt it's doing much at this point. Should I be concerned about non coated pistons? Additionally, there appears to be a lot of carbon on the oil rings and between the rings of the donor engine; is that from not changing the oil enough?

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2014, 03:40 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

I'd like to know the answer to this as well, as you I've seen some pistons that are coated and some that are not. I'm pretty sure my 02 piston skirts were not coated.

Gunk in the oil ring landings is mostly varnish, anything you can do to clean that up will help keep the piston rings operating better. It occurs due to oil consumption with oil getting past the rings, plus lower quality conventional oil adds to the issue. Using a high quality synthetic oil with low NOACK volatility numbers will help to reduce the amount of build-up that occurs in the ring landings. If you get enough of it the piston rings can actually get "frozen" in place which is not good. A lot of people rely on a product called Auto-RX to clean up those areas in a running engine, it is reported to work quite well for that purpose.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the most part I have seen all of them with the coating, when I replace pistons I barely see any wear on them, but I would wait for other people to chime in also, and I would def. replace those rings if they cannot be cleaned. If you pop them right back in they will consume oil just as previously stated ^^^^