S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Alignment or steering wheel problems?

Old 02-21-2015, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alignment or steering wheel problems?

I just got a alignment thinking it would solve my problem but it didn't. The problem is the steering wheel pulls to the right a lot! For example if I jack up the car, the steering wheel would turn all the way to the right until locked. It felt like it would turn to the right more easier than the left as if it had power steering turning right but no power steering turning left. I don't have any lights on and the transmission has been dropped twice and my steering wheel was removed twice. Here is my alignment spec sheet but they said it's nothing a alignment could fix.

Anybody have any ideas?..

Old 02-21-2015, 10:49 AM

I just removed my eps fuse. It looks a little corroded but I tested it and it is fine. I still ordered a new fuse but won't come in until next week. With the eps fuse out, I don't have anymore pull..
Old 02-21-2015, 11:09 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I assume with road wheels straight ahead that the steering wheel is level. That's what the alignment shop would do.

From wheels straight ahead does the steering wheel turn the same number of rotations to limit both left and right?
Old 02-21-2015, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by SoREALemjay
With the eps fuse out, I don't have anymore pull..
And no power steering? Steering requires more effort?
Old 02-21-2015, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Gregg Lee
I assume with road wheels straight ahead that the steering wheel is level. That's what the alignment shop would do.

From wheels straight ahead does the steering wheel turn the same number of rotations to limit both left and right?
I'm not sure, I'll check in a bit. And yes with power steering removed it does require more effort. But it drives in a straight line, doesn't pull to the right anymore. Is it possible my eps is messed up?
Old 02-21-2015, 02:10 PM

Yes, but it could just be mis-assembly, set-up, or a loose wire. Was the eps light on?

Loose wire or connector: self explanatory.

Assembly: If you removed the steering wheel, it's possible that it was put back on a spline or two off. If so steering-wheel-centered, wheels-forward and rack-centered no longer match. That's why I asked if the steering wheel travels equally in both directions. If the steering wheel is off center and an alignment then rematched steering wheel level to road wheels forward, that left the rack off center physically and off from the learned center position stored in the eps.

Set up: Perhaps the EPS memory has just forgotten the learned center position. If so it will have to be "relearned."
Center position memory loss occurs when some steering system components are replaced or disconnected. And even if not lost before, removing the fuse might do it; not sure.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:18 PM

Received 159 Likes on 122 Posts

Tire pressure?

A lot of pulls are caused by tires or pressure issues.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Gregg Lee
Yes, but it could just be mis-assembly, set-up, or a loose wire. Was the eps light on?

Loose wire or connector: self explanatory.

Assembly: If you removed the steering wheel, it's possible that it was put back on a spline or two off. If so steering-wheel-centered, wheels-forward and rack-centered no longer match. That's why I asked if the steering wheel travels equally in both directions. If the steering wheel is off and an alignment then rematched steering wheel level to road wheels forward, that left the rack off center physically and off from the learned center position stored in the eps.

Set up: Perhaps the EPS memory has just forgotten the learned center position. If so it will have to be "relearned."
Center position memory loss occurs when some steering system components are replaced or disconnected. And even if not lost before, removing the fuse might do it; not sure.

Before I removed the EPS fuse, I didn't have any lights. As soon as I get off work I'll check how many turns. Now that I think of it, the steering wheel was removed twice. I read up on the TSNP (torque sensor neutral position) is that what you're referring to?

With the EPS disabled, is it possible I'm looking at something electrical? I drove it 10 miles street and freeway, straight as a bullet.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by fernando.
Tire pressure?

A lot of pulls are caused by tires or pressure issues.
I'm assuming the shop checked the tire pressure and if any wheels were bent.. but just in case I'll swap my left and right wheels.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:42 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yo you still have my number? Call me your caster is all screwed up. If not pm me and I will give you my number

Quick Reply: Alignment or steering wheel problems?