S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Alignment specs....

Old 06-19-2004, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment specs....

Yes, I have used the search funtion, and I didn't find what I was looking for, so here is my question: I installed my Tein RA suspension yesterday with a 1.5 inch drop all around. I need to get some alignment specs, and there are no performance alignment shops around here to give me any suggestions. I would like an alignment to make the car handle as well as possible (grip not comfort), without going to a lot more wear that the factory specs. Lastly, if it is true that a 1.5 inch drop yeilds reduced performance compared to stock, than I will bring the car up to about a 1 inch drop. Thanks for any input!
Old 06-19-2004, 06:57 PM

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Try This
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=172595

Also, it depends on how you are driving and where, if you plan on tracking this car all the time the concenus is that the Saini alignment works the best all around however, you need to look at tire size. His alignment is based on a virtually stock ride height and wider tires.

If you are dropped with firmer spring rates, on stock tire sizes I would recommend -1.8 degress of camber up front, because of your tire size.

Its not the drop that hurts performance it is lack of tuning on the shock damping along with poor alignments that cause problems.

If you dropped your car without having a plan for what you want to improve then obviously you are behind the 8 ball.

Many people upgrade their suspensions mainly for looks and they think the car will be transformed. On this car especially it is not true.

If you are performance minded with this car, the upgrading of the suspension is to correct the inherent problems with oversteer. You want the car more neutral. Throwing on coilovers, with generic spring rates, that the tuner shop picks for you is almost always a recipe for trouble.

In addition you now have a height adjustable car, and no one to corner weigh your car.
2.1.3 ALIGNMENT

A proper alignment is important for autocrossing, and compared to the other changes you'll be making, a bargain at less than $100. Individual alignments vary, but the general consensus falls in the following ranges:

Front toe - 0" to 1/8" toe out

Front camber - -1.5 to -1.75 degrees

Rear toe - 1/4" to 3/8" toe in

Rear camber - -2.0 to -2.25 degrees
If you want it straight from the horses' mouths, here are alignment settings posted by the top three finishers at Nationals this year:

Jason Saini (Jason Saini) - http://over6racing.com/features/mistress.html (Moton shocks)

Andy McKee (s2k2fast4me) - http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showt...&threadid=89137 (scroll to near the bottom of the first post) (Penske shocks) (this post is from the 2002 Nationals)

Ian Stewart (Mrsideways) - http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showt...005#post2247005 (Koni shocks) (Ian's alignment is notable because he uses zero toe in the rear, perhaps contributing to his handle "Mrsideways")
Each driver's shock choice is noted since cars on stock shocks tend to be rather more twitchy than cars on aftermarket units. Drivers with stock shocks may want to consider more conservative settings (e.g. more rear toe-in or less front camber). Likewise, these alignment settings will likely also not work well for cars not running a 1.25" solid front sway bar and 225F/245R tires.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:41 PM

I just measured up, and found that I have a 1 inch drop, not a 1.5, which actually should be good for handling. Those auto-x settings look good, and I apreciate the advice, but tire wear is somewhat of a concern. The main purpose of the car is street driven, but I like it to be as much like driving a race car on the street as possible, so ride quality is not so much a concern as handling. I would like a somewhat agressive alignment, without going to excessive tire wear. As of now, I am running stock S-02's, probably will upsize later, but at that point, I will re-align. Any suggestions? Oh and also, where would I get a car corner balanced? I live in Maine, and there are not many speed shops, just tire places that do alignments.
Old 06-20-2004, 04:38 PM

Something I've discovered about a good track/autocross alignment and tire wear is that there is a way to compromise your settings to get decent wear AND handling.

Maximize your caster. The more caster you add the more camber it adds when you turn the wheel. I am running 6.5 degree caster and 1 degree neg camber in front. That gives me very good handling, no tramlining and very good front tire wear. The car is balanced and the handling feels the same as when I was running 2+ degrees negative camber.

I haven't found there is anything you can do for the rear. Just give it the negative camber and suck it up!
Old 06-20-2004, 07:52 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bobmcq11
I would like a somewhat agressive alignment,
Old 06-21-2004, 05:29 AM

This is what I think I am going to go with, let me know what you think, this was taken from another forum:

front camber: -1.3 -1.3
front caster: 4.4 4.5
front toe OUT (thanks Mike for the tip): .04 .05

rear camber: -2.4 -2.4
rear toe: .23 .22
Old 06-21-2004, 06:12 AM

Thats not bad, I would not do as much camber in the rear however, I think that is a bit excessive.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:37 AM

Reading your posts, I find that you seem to be knowledgeable with alignments, if I cannot get the car corner balanced, what would you suggest for alignment specs, being as technical as possible? I want good road grip, but not excessive tire wear. This is a daily driver.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:23 AM

If you are happy with the 1.5 drop all around and you have have adjusted the ride height to where you want it, and you can't get it corner balanced, then you have to decide what you want to do.

The stock alignment is good on tire wear, for the most part. You don't see major camber wear in those specs.

I will be honest with you, I have been messing with adjustable suspensions on many cars for awhile now.

The beauty of the s2000 is that you don't have to mess with aftermarket alignment kits, which makes it easier to take the car most places for an alignment. However now that you can adjust height and damping it makes it more difficult to get things tuned properly because of your rebound and compression adjustabilty. You will be doing a lot of guess work getting things the way you like it.

The one thing that the setup has going for it is that the spring rates are no longer rear biased, which may or may not be effective depending on your ride height choice.
(The reason it may not be effective is because your cross weighting and corner weighting/weight distribution may be off now from height changes, which will affect the way the car responds to loading and unloading)

Let assume that your weight distribution is ok with the ride height you chose, I would follow this assumption for your alignment. I would not set the alignment much more agressive from stock.

This is because you are driving it daily. The alignment specs you posted will be great on the track, will allow for much greater adhesion, however you will see poor tire wear. Without rotational abilities, and depending on your tire application, you will be changing tires ever 6-10k miles on softer compound.

Take this advice not as right or wrong because you won't find the perfect answer it is should be set per vehicle per application.

Front Camber -1.0 to -1.5 MAX IMO
Rear Camber -1.3 to -1.8 MAX

Your toe settings are fine rear toe in should be no more than 1/4"

And keep the toe out on the front to a minium, close to stock. It is a good setting for the street as is.

I hope that helps
Old 06-21-2004, 12:18 PM

I apreciate the advice... just to let you know tho, it is a 1 inch drop, not a 1.5 inch like I thought. 1 inch in the tein ra's is supposed to be about ideal for handling.