S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Alarm won't arm/disarm and trunk won't open

Old 01-02-2018, 05:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Alarm won't arm/disarm and trunk won't open

As the title states, my key fob will not disarm/arm the alarm and at the same time my trunk won't open from the inside button or my key fob. I have 2 remotes and both do not work. Both have brand new batteries and both have red lights blinking when a button is pushed.

The only thing done to it was a new key and remote was programmed to the vehicle 1 week prior to this issue. I checked at the dealer upon pick-up that both original and new keys/remotes worked. It has went through exactly 3 drive cycles before these issues occurred. A new battery was replaced 6 months ago. New key and remote were purchased from dealer and programmed by dealer. I have been using new key & remote since time of programming. Vehicle starts fine and no signs of a fading battery.

The only other thing I can think of that may more may not pertain to this is that about 2-3 months ago I had a new issue where my "small lights" fuse keeps blowing every other drive and when I turn on my headlights my dash would stay on daytime mode and taillights stay off but brake lights, turn signals and reverse lights still worked as if it still thinks I'm in day time but my headlights do come on. I still haven't figured that one out yet.

edit: this is a MY06 and no radio or aftermarket audio is connected.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:28 AM

Received 1,226 Likes on 1,071 Posts

How long has the car been without a radio? I don't see any connection to the key-less door lock control unit but that unit is under the dash on the driver's side and maybe a connector got moved by accident.

Can you lock the passenger door lock by locking the driver's door either from inside or via the key? Passenger door has to be unlocked at the door or via the key-less system but you should be able to lock both doors with the lock on the driver's door. This will confirm the actuators are working.

Trunk opener from inside the car is a direct wired connection so something is loose there either at the switch or more likely in the trunk. Wires go to the latch on the trunk lid.

No automatic lighting in this car. Unless you turn the lights on they stay off no matter how dark it gets.

-- Chuck
Old 01-03-2018, 05:52 AM

Received 1,435 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Maybe its two separate problems. The most common trunk issue is pinched wires at the hinge area. After so many open and close cycles with the wires flexing, problems occur. There is a diy on how to check for and fix that issue.

I think it wouod be worth ruling that out, since its easy to look at.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
How long has the car been without a radio? I don't see any connection to the key-less door lock control unit but that unit is under the dash on the driver's side and maybe a connector got moved by accident.

Can you lock the passenger door lock by locking the driver's door either from inside or via the key? Passenger door has to be unlocked at the door or via the key-less system but you should be able to lock both doors with the lock on the driver's door. This will confirm the actuators are working.

Trunk opener from inside the car is a direct wired connection so something is loose there either at the switch or more likely in the trunk. Wires go to the latch on the trunk lid.

No automatic lighting in this car. Unless you turn the lights on they stay off no matter how dark it gets.

-- Chuck
Car has been without a radio for quite some time now. I don't think that removing it had to do with anything but I just noted all electrical related things I've done to it.

Actuators are working fine on both doors.

I kinda figured this much on the trunk.

I don't mean automatic lighting, I mean that when you turn your headlights on, the dash stays bright as if the headlights were off and taillights do not come on. There's been a few threads started on here if you search "small lights fuse", it's most likely unrelated but like I said I want to note all electrical related items.

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Maybe its two separate problems. The most common trunk issue is pinched wires at the hinge area. After so many open and close cycles with the wires flexing, problems occur. There is a diy on how to check for and fix that issue.

I think it wouod be worth ruling that out, since its easy to look at.
That sounds like my issue with the trunk, I'll look up the trunk DIY. It was just weird that it happened literally at the exact same time lol. I'll look into it tonight and report back.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:35 PM
Community Organizer

Received 155 Likes on 126 Posts

Try pressing one of the buttons on the FOB while sitting in the driver's seat and the FOB by your left knee, if it works then I may be able to shed some light.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Hfreak
Try pressing one of the buttons on the FOB while sitting in the driver's seat and the FOB by your left knee, if it works then I may be able to shed some light.
This does not work. Any other ideas?
Old 01-04-2018, 02:14 PM
Community Organizer

Received 155 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by eight
This does not work. Any other ideas?
Unfortunately not, I had a range issue with both FOB's on a 2006 and the receiver is located under the dash above the clutch. I was able to fix the range by performing some adjustments to the receiver module. Maybe check to make sure the module is plugged into the harness.