S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

aircon check

Old 07-03-2006, 09:39 AM
spw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aircon check

Is there a way to test the aircon in case I have leaking seals?
I know I have pressure on both the high and low sides of the circuit as they both hiss if i press the filling valves. I don't want to take it to Honda if I can check/replace seals before they (or someone else?) regasses the system.

(thought it was time to sort it as it was sooo hot today)

Any idea what Honda (or someone else) charges for gassing and/or seals?
Old 07-03-2006, 11:46 AM

Yes there is a way to test for a leaking AC system but it should only be done by a certified technician. When you press the high and low side valves you are releasing R-134a which is a hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) which causes damage to the ozone layer. It can also freeze your skin so please be aware. There are electronic leak detectors out there and that seems to be the prefered method of finding leaks. Flourescent leak tracing kits are sold as well. With these you add a dye to your system and you trace your system with a black light to find the leak. I would not recommend this method but thats my personal opinion. R-134a systems have a PAG oil and adding dye to it throws the specific quantity of oil out of spec. From what I hear, dye can also damage your reciever dryer and expansion valve. To propery repair a leak once you found it, you will need special equipment. R-134a will have to be recovered into a recycling/ recovering machine. Once it has all been recovered (it may take 3-4 cycles because of residual refrigerant in the oil) The system will then be put under vacuum for a number of minutes to pull traces of contaminants and moisture out. Only then can a A/C system can be serviced while being safe to the tech and environment. Keep in mind that compontents should not be exposed to open air. You can ruin a reciever dryer with moisture in the air alone.

What HONDA charges for service I honostly do not know.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:50 AM
spw

thanks for the info milkbubble
btw, i only released a miniscule amount to see if there was any pressure at all and there was. So hopefully I've only nuked the ozone in the UK.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:08 PM

No problem! I got another check you can do.. With the engine running and AC system on, feel the low pressure line and see how cold it its.. If it is ICE cold then you know your refrigerant is good. At that point you can look towards the blend doors and see if they are operating properly. If the line is not cold then you can suspect a leak respectivly.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

Look for oil on the outisde of the AC lines is the only visual check you can do.

Is there a problem with the AC system function?
Old 07-03-2006, 02:55 PM
spw

I can hear the engine note change when I switch it on and the pump kicks in.
It has no visible leaks anywhere.
I'll check in the morning if the low pressure side gets cold.

I'm assuming I haven't got major leaks (ie pressure on both high and low sides)
Old 07-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

It's normal to hear the idle speed drop when the AC compressor turns on. Chances are there isn't anything wrong with the system. Don't do something foolish like try and charge the system on your own.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:09 PM
spw

Low pressure lines are warm after running the aircon for a couple of miles. So is it best to go back to Honda?
Old 07-04-2006, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by spw,Jul 4 2006, 01:09 AM
Low pressure lines are warm after running the aircon for a couple of miles. So is it best to go back to Honda?
Yes sir! Or any reputable shop with AC equipment. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:22 AM
spw

correction - i thought the engine note changed because the condenser fan kicked in but it must have been the rad fan (or i imagined it)
Anyway the condenser fan and clutch do not operate.

I ran through the tests for the relays, clutch and fan and they all check out fine.
I ran the self diag test and the recirc light simply stays on with no flashes. Is that a fault?

From looking at the circuit and having tested all parts it looks like the ECM isn't sinking the clutch (a17) or fan (a20) relays.

So it looks like the ecm is stuffed :-(

Anyone know what else I can check before going to Honda?
thx

Quick Reply: aircon check