S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Airbox Modification Discussion

Old 06-28-2001, 01:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by Cyber Logic

This is my concern...I am not sure whether a cold air intake would really help me because it is at least 100 here every day and 110 usually...and on top of that...at night it only gets down to like 90 so I am debating on the cold air intake idea...anyone in these temps notice a big change with a cold air intake???
For IAT, My S2000 measured 139F when ambient temp was about low 70F. If ambient temp is more than 100F, IAT must be much higher, like in 150F (?) maybe? Some how if you can bring IAT down to 140F, you sould get better performance. I don't have much experience with modifications, so please let me know if my logic is insensible.

cheers,
Old 06-28-2001, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tested the car the other day, it was in the mid 80's to high 80's. I was able to keep IAT fairly low, in the 100's I think during 40mph drive... I'lll have to check again though... could have my number mixed up.

-Shing
Old 06-28-2001, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't sound unreasonable shingles, any differential around 30F in motion is believable.

Just imagine, if you get that differential down to 10 degrees, you'll pick up 3-4 hp easily. If you remove some restriction in the intake tract (which there is, particularly on the airbox inlet and possible the filter/tube transition) there might be even more.

UL
Old 06-28-2001, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by cdelena
It was my understanding that the biggest concern was making sure that the coolest air available is used since this ECU is quick to protect the engine as soon as it senses elevated intake air or coolant. I did not pickup on any suggestion that airflow is inadequate.
Thanks CD, this is goodness. I wasn't sure whether there was a restriction in the actual intake mouth or not. If this is not the case then well and good. I may try experimenting myself with extensions to the intake but am also concerned that if I have lots of curves and angles in my extended intake tract then I could reduce airspeed or create vortexes and end up starving the engine of air.

Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions here other than the general principle of minimising angles and bends?
Old 06-28-2001, 05:23 PM

What about ducting into the fenderwell?
a lot of domestics suck air frominside the fenderwell and the S2K has a nice opening in the pax side fenderwell that accepts a 3" tube nicely.
I just redid my intake setup, took a WeaponR Dragon, cut it back 4", put a cold air bell over the filter and ran aluminum 3" tubing into the hole I mentioned in the fender.
It's as far as possible away from the motor and away from the radiator as well.
I was thinking about opening up the pax side brake duct area to flow more air inside the fender and maybe raise the pressure inside the fender. The whole fender can act as a cold air box.
Anyone see any holes in my idea?
If you're interested, I'll post pix.

-Venom
'00 B&R
www.reptilogic.com/s2k/
Old 06-28-2001, 07:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ultimate lurker
[B]Doesn't sound unreasonable shingles, any differential around 30F in motion is believable.

Just imagine, if you get that differential down to 10 degrees, you'll pick up 3-4 hp easily.
Old 06-28-2001, 07:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Venom
What about ducting into the fenderwell?
...If you're interested, I'll post pix.
I have noticed it is possible. Please post a pic.
Old 06-29-2001, 07:44 AM

Here are a couple of quick pix.
It's nothing exotic but it ought to work, I'm making an aluminum plate to seal off the fender where the tube goes in and like I said in the other post, possibly opening up the brake duct into the fender.

-Venom
'00 B&R
Old 06-29-2001, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know enough about thermodynamics to postulate whether pulling air from a high-pressure area (like in front of the rad) is better than pulling it from a relatively closed space like the fenderwell? Barring temp. differences. I'm curious if the Spoon (rad snorkel) is a better "idea" than pulling the air from the fender, which may actually be a low pressure or vacuum at high speeds.
Old 06-29-2001, 11:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Air from a high-pressure area does add to power and has been done with cars and motorcycles for years. But typically the payoff comes at speed, sometimes with no measurable gain until over 60mph and the most coming much faster than that.

IMO the biggest concern for this car is to avoid systems that feed the heated under-hood air so maybe the fender well accomplishes the important task even if you don

Quick Reply: Airbox Modification Discussion