S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Air Pump Questions

Old 10-20-2002, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Pump Questions

Does the airpump draw its air from the filtered intake air?

I ask because I am planning to install a J's Racing CAI and it doesn't have a connection for the air pump. However, from my VW days, a small K&N filter over the air pump intake will do the trick.

So I just want to make sure I am remembering this stuff correctly in that it draws air from the intake and does not pump additional air into the intake.

TIA.

Rob
Old 10-20-2002, 08:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

In the air intake tube (the one that connects to the throttle body), there are 2 tubes (about 3/4" diameter). One comes from the valve cover and the other connects to the air pump (goes towards the left front bumper cavity). I think this is where it draws the air from and when needed, is pumped directly into the back end of the intake manifold. One way to tell is to take this pipe off the intake, start your engine and when the pump is running, see if it sucks.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:43 PM

Okay, I'm a bit confused here. If those two small pipes are for the accelerator pump, why do they both go into the intake? I would think the logical progression would be from intake to pump to cylinder head?

Also, what is that big tube for that attaches around the rubber bend on the way to the airbox?

I think my first mod will be a Helm manual to better understand what all this OBD2 crap does.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2kRob
[B]Okay, I'm a bit confused here.
Old 10-20-2002, 10:30 PM

YES you can just stick a filter on the little air pump hose...thats what you have to do when you install the vortech sc...
Old 10-21-2002, 07:29 PM

S2k pumps extra fresh air to the "exhaust" for cold start which can help reducing CO and help increasing catalytic converter heat up, in order to cut emssion.

http://www.s2ki.ch/s2k_ecology.html

IMO, I don't know if your state law allows, in theory you can safely seal it or even remove the whole secondary air system ( tubing + air pump) to reduce some extra weight, as it's mean to be for cold start only.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:49 PM

Awesome pic, thanks!

You see Xviper, the big tube is the one connecting to the secondary airpump. The other hoses I'm not sure about, but it is like I thought.

This is cool. I'll just slap on a mini K&N to the airpump breather and then install the J's without a problem.

Now, on the SC install, where do they cap off the secondary intake? Right on the pump itself, or do they relocate the hose?

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:08 PM

[B]Awesome pic, thanks!

You see Xviper, the big tube is the one connecting to the secondary airpump.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:32 PM

[B]Awesome pic, thanks!

You see Xviper, the big tube is the one connecting to the secondary airpump.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:22 AM

i was a little confused with this system also, so its pretty much just there to help cold start ups, i thought it puts more air into the intake during a certian rpm acting like a little turbo get me,

Quick Reply: Air Pump Questions