S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AIR PUMP engine management light

Old 11-25-2004, 05:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIR PUMP engine management light

Engine management light came on a while ago, car has been in with Honda a couple of times and as the car was in a crash previously (insurance approved repair) Honda have said the air pump and wiring loom were possibly damaged. This of course means they are saying it is not covered by warranty... I remember seeing something on here before about airpump/engine management light and cant find it, obviously my worry is that this is a common problem and I should be pursuing the warranty claim. Has anyone else had this problem? Any comments regarding warranty would be appreciated....
Old 11-25-2004, 06:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I wish you luck in your quest, however, in most cases, whenever a vehicle has been in any kind of major collision, regardless of where the impact was, manufacturers have a tendency to void the whole warranty citing that such a collision can do damage that can not be immediately determined.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:37 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Well, the air pump sits right behind the driver's side of the bumper, below the headlight. So if the crash was frontal, it is likely damaged. The adjuster should adjust
Old 11-26-2004, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billman250,Nov 25 2004, 01:37 PM
Well, the air pump sits right behind the driver's side of the bumper, below the headlight. So if the crash was frontal, it is likely damaged. The adjuster should adjust
Ok, my light says P0411, insufficient flow(something along those lines). You can definately hear it working, starts immediately after starting the car, dies about 8-10 seconds after starting. The only thing I can think of would be that the sensor that measures the "flow" is bad, or that a vaccum line is crossed somewhere. Anyone have any detailed diagrams of this? My car as also in a frontal impact, and the pump was replaced, which leads me to beleive I have a Xed line somewhere(or a hole?).
bump, good luck on your probs!
Old 12-10-2004, 10:04 AM

i had the same problem when a guy hit me in the front corner. smashed the air pimp and damaged several wires on the wiring harness to it. bodyshop didn't fix it, took 2 dealers to fix it. your insurance from the wreck should cover it because its from the collision damage.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by billman250,Nov 25 2004, 01:37 PM
'Zactly. I had a collision one time that damaged my air pump. Body shop didn't know what the air pump was and didn't fix it. I got the car back and it threw the code. Took it to Honda and they identified it as crash damage. So the insurance paid for the service diagnosis as well as the R&I on the air pump.

Not uncommon.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tinker219,Nov 26 2004, 08:30 AM
My car as also in a frontal impact, and the pump was replaced, which leads me to beleive I have a Xed line somewhere(or a hole?).
Prob a misinstalled hose.

Did you try resetting the CEL? I had one case where a shop disconnected the air pump, started the engine, set the code, and then reconnected the air pump. System was actually working fine, but I think once the code is thrown it stays thrown. I reset the ECU and all was fine.

If you reset the ECU (or have the code cancelled) and it comes back, then you definitely have a problem that needs to be fixed. But if you reset the code and it doesn't come back, you are good to go.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Dec 10 2004, 01:20 PM
Prob a misinstalled hose.

Did you try resetting the CEL? I had one case where a shop disconnected the air pump, started the engine, set the code, and then reconnected the air pump. System was actually working fine, but I think once the code is thrown it stays thrown. I reset the ECU and all was fine.

If you reset the ECU (or have the code cancelled) and it comes back, then you definitely have a problem that needs to be fixed. But if you reset the code and it doesn't come back, you are good to go.
thats strange, because it takes 3 complete startup and cool down cycles to set off P0411 (and i think p0410 is the same)
Old 12-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

A P0411 is a 2 trip DTC. 2 warm up cycles are required to throw the DTC. The coolant temp has to be between 32 - 158deg F. for the air pump to run at start-up.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Dec 10 2004, 04:04 PM
A P0411 is a 2 trip DTC. 2 warm up cycles are required to throw the DTC. The coolant temp has to be between 32 - 158deg F. for the air pump to run at start-up.
Maybe they started it twice? Can't tell you. All I know is that there was no CEL when I dropped it off, and when I picked it up the air pump code had been thrown. But I didn't spot anything wrong and the air pump seemed to be working, so I reset the ECU and the code never got thrown again.

The car had been in to get the motor mounts replaced, so they had to lift the engine up a bit. I'm assuming they disconnected the air pump lines to get enough compliance.

Quick Reply: AIR PUMP engine management light