S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Air Pump?

Old 12-02-2010, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Pump?

So, a few weeks ago, my 01' S2000 with 136k miles, started to have REALLY slow starts lately. I thought it was my batttery, so I had the battery changed twice, but turns out it wasnt the battery at all. Because the batteries were brand new, and I also tested the batteries and they were good. So I got fed up, and took it to the honda dealership, I had them check the codes, and apparently I guess my Air pump popped up on the scanner. From what they said, The air pump does contribute to the starting. I asked honda how much it would be for the air pump and they gave me an outrageous price, And It was for the part itself, I dont even know how much it would be for the labor, So I was like forget it, Im going to do it myself, So now, Im looking for an Air pump, Anyone have one for sale? Would I need to get the solenoid with it too? Im sooo lost, Let me know. And would anyone tell me the process of how to install it? Thanks. And where is it located?
Old 12-02-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post in the "Want to Buy" section for an air pump. The air pump going out or causing problems is very common for the s2000. I've replaced mine once already. It is located behind your front bumper on the driver side. If you can take your front bumper off (which isnt that hard at all) you can easily change the air pump. I know at Honda they are VERY expensive, thats why many people don't want to replace them.

Did you have a CEL before you brought it in to the dealership?
Old 12-02-2010, 12:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

please use the search...tons of topics on this good luck
Old 12-02-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by suzuka-blue-s2k,Dec 2 2010, 01:29 PM
Post in the "Want to Buy" section for an air pump. The air pump going out or causing problems is very common for the s2000. I've replaced mine once already. It is located behind your front bumper on the driver side. If you can take your front bumper off (which isnt that hard at all) you can easily change the air pump. I know at Honda they are VERY expensive, thats why many people don't want to replace them.

Did you have a CEL before you brought it in to the dealership?
I actually did have CEL before I went to the dealership. Ive had CEL for the longest time, I had my o2 sensor replaced with an aftermarket one, its a Bosche o2 sensor, but after I got it installed, it still had CEL. Im not sure if you can ONLY use OEM factory o2 sensors for the S2000, Is there any alternatives? I dont feel like spending $250+ for a sensor at the dealer -___- (Oh btw, this was before my Air Pump went out) oh and is the job for the air pump, is it simple?
Old 12-02-2010, 12:42 PM

Yeah you could have had a CEL for a malfunctioning air pump. Your Bosche o2 sensor will be fine, no need to replace it again if its working.

Yes replacing the air pump is fairly simple. You just have to remove the front bumper. (if you search you can find out how to do this. Or go to ricks2k.com, go under installations, and then look in his DIY headlight diffusers. He shows all of the steps to remove the front bumper). Then once the bumper is off, the pump is on a bracket with a few bolts. You take those off, unplug 1 connector, and remove the hose off of it (its the one that goes up into your engine bay and connects to your intake pipe), and then take it out. Then you just do the opposite and put the new pump in, then put everything back together.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by suzuka-blue-s2k,Dec 2 2010, 01:42 PM
Yeah you could have had a CEL for a malfunctioning air pump. Your Bosche o2 sensor will be fine, no need to replace it again if its working.

Yes replacing the air pump is fairly simple. You just have to remove the front bumper. (if you search you can find out how to do this. Or go to ricks2k.com, go under installations, and then look in his DIY headlight diffusers. He shows all of the steps to remove the front bumper). Then once the bumper is off, the pump is on a bracket with a few bolts. You take those off, unplug 1 connector, and remove the hose off of it (its the one that goes up into your engine bay and connects to your intake pipe), and then take it out. Then you just do the opposite and put the new pump in, then put everything back together.
Cool thanks man, appreciate the assistance. But apparently if my CEL is still on becuhs of my o2 sensor, I wont pass smog, I need to smog it in a couple of months. -__-
Old 12-02-2010, 12:51 PM

Did the dealership say one of the CEL codes was for your o2 sensor after you replaced it?
Old 12-02-2010, 12:58 PM

Yeah they did, but the problems right now so far with the knowledge I know, Is My Heater core is broken, My air pump, The o2' sensor. I have a leaking Clutch master cylinder, It leaks into the Driverside interior. -___-
Oh btw, before you changed your air pump, did you have the same exact problem as I did? VERY slow starting?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:05 PM

Well I have a test pipe on my car, so I wouldnt have that problem. Mine just started acting retarded and turned on and off at random times, then got the CEL. The air pump shoots air into your exhaust to warm up the catalytic converter quickly, and helps with cold starts.

For further assistance, it would help a ton if you could post what your codes were. Go to Autozone and they will pull the codes for free. Write them all down then post them here and we will be able to help you pin point the problems you are having. Also just seach for leaking master cylinder on here and you can find more info on that.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by suzuka-blue-s2k,Dec 2 2010, 02:05 PM
Well I have a test pipe on my car, so I wouldnt have that problem. Mine just started acting retarded and turned on and off at random times, then got the CEL. The air pump shoots air into your exhaust to warm up the catalytic converter quickly, and helps with cold starts.

For further assistance, it would help a ton if you could post what your codes were. Go to Autozone and they will pull the codes for free. Write them all down then post them here and we will be able to help you pin point the problems you are having. Also just seach for leaking master cylinder on here and you can find more info on that.
Alright cool thanks bro. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Air Pump?