S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AIR INTAKE Extensions, need your techincal opinions.

Old 10-18-2001, 06:29 AM
Sev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More opinions please. There is more data now....
Old 10-18-2001, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your R&D is good and I think it's a "valid" product from your testing. Why do you think, though, that one should do this instead of the Spoon or similar "extension?" I don't see why this would be "better."

I think the Rubatex, "mat," or other insulating method will result in as good or better gains. Something else to consider is the throttle body bypass or the Hondata insulator for the manifold.
Old 10-18-2001, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by marcucci
Why do you think, though, that one should do this instead of the Spoon or similar "extension?" I don't see why this would be "better."
To chime in, Sev's might be better if price is considered. No need to cut or leave out the radiator guide shroud, no need to worry about the "pinch" area of the Spoon duct, and perhaps much less tendency to aspirate sand like material that normally gets "filtered out" by the path air needs to take with the stock setup.
Old 10-18-2001, 09:19 AM
Sev

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marcucci
[B]Your R&D is good and I think it's a "valid" product from your testing. Why do you think, though, that one should do this instead of the Spoon or similar "extension?" I don't see why this would be "better."
Old 10-18-2001, 11:36 AM

Sev, Prolene, you both point out that there is no restriction due to the tube... do you not think w/o the tube it is restricted? Stock, the intake air comes from the opening in front of the radiator. Where this passes past the front fascia (between the lights, above the opening) has to come through a relatively narrow slot between the radiator "shroud" and the bumper. While you mod might help keep that charge cool, I think it has little to no effect on flow.

"Extensions" like the Spoon move the opening down into the high-pressure area and use the space that's already allocated for the intake air path (look at the intake box "horn" and hood and their shape). As such I think it would have no negative effect on flow.

I don't doubt that this is "better" than stock, though I daresay the only performance advantages over an extension are price and ease-of-installation. Oh, and my point on the mat is that regardless of the intake, the "mat," Rubatex, or cellulose insulation (*any* insulation) is a good idea. This intake piece is easy to install, etc., but the mat isn't much harder and keeping the intake box cooler helps quite a bit.
Old 10-18-2001, 12:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Sev

VS. Mat:

Advantages:
-Smoother surface
-Closed sides may cause pressurization for extra power.
-Better insulator
-Better looking
-Easier to install and remove
-Available in different colours.
-Less preparation, you buy and install.

-Disadvantages:
-Price.

I think that about sums it up in my opinion.
It is your opinion so I think I will state mine since I prefer the mat.

- I don
Old 10-18-2001, 12:43 PM

Chris, can you really install/deinstall your mat in 5 minutes? If that's the case, I'm betting your mat doesn't go under the airbox, which is the only place mine goes. You might give that a shot, it made a fair difference on mine, and that's all I did.
Old 10-18-2001, 07:04 PM
Sev

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marcucci
[B]Sev, Prolene, you both point out that there is no restriction due to the tube... do you not think w/o the tube it is restricted? Stock, the intake air comes from the opening in front of the radiator. Where this passes past the front fascia (between the lights, above the opening) has to come through a relatively narrow slot between the radiator "shroud" and the bumper. While you mod might help keep that charge cool, I think it has little to no effect on flow.
Old 10-18-2001, 07:06 PM
Sev

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena
[B]

It is your opinion so I think I will state mine since I prefer the mat.

- I don