S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AIR INTAKE Extensions, need your techincal opinions.

Old 10-16-2001, 12:04 PM
Sev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIR INTAKE Extensions, need your techincal opinions.

Go https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=31791 .

Please post your opinions there.
Old 10-16-2001, 01:39 PM

I like the idea, and believe it will add some benefit. One thing that turns me off is the foam seal stuff. It looks a little too much like weather stripping. Maybe it is just the pictures. I would find myself more excited about the product if it had a rubber seal. I guess it would just give me more perceived value.
Old 10-16-2001, 04:58 PM
Sev

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nin009
[B]I like the idea, and believe it will add some benefit.
Old 10-16-2001, 05:02 PM
Sev

Originally posted by cdelena
It is ok but I actually don't think it offers any more than the xviper radiator barrier that I have copied:

Probably doesn't, the idea originated from a mat, I just find the mat extremely unpleasent looking, this is why I developped this piece.

Factors that are better then a mat:

-Smoother surface
-Easier to install
-Better looking
-Might pressurize intake...

It just costs much more, however you don't have to waste time cutting and installing it...

I do not claim it is better performance wise though I think it probably is.
Old 10-17-2001, 06:54 AM

Looks similar to the JDM modulo optional wind guide ... If you've seen it you'll know how it looks like. I cannot comment on the feasibility because I have not tested it before. But I can tell you that the JDM modulo one is quite useless with no significant difference with or without it, that's why I got the Spoon CAI instead. Probably a Mugen CAI when I get my head to that one fine day.
Old 10-17-2001, 11:08 AM
Sev

Originally posted by Takashi KazuMori
Looks similar to the JDM modulo optional wind guide ... If you've seen it you'll know how it looks like. I cannot comment on the feasibility because I have not tested it before. But I can tell you that the JDM modulo one is quite useless with no significant difference with or without it, that's why I got the Spoon CAI instead. Probably a Mugen CAI when I get my head to that one fine day.
I am not familiar with the modulo piece, yes, I know it is an extension of the plastic, however anytime you prevent hot air from being drawn into the intake chamber you are bound to make more power or at least loose less. All you need is to drop the temperature by about 5F to get an extra 1% which is 2.4 HP...

We will be doing temperature probe tests soon and we will see.
Old 10-17-2001, 11:20 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally posted by Sev

I am not familiar with the modulo piece, yes, I know it is an extension of the plastic, however anytime you prevent hot air from being drawn into the intake chamber you are bound to make more power or at least loose less. All you need is to drop the temperature by about 5F to get an extra 1% which is 2.4 HP...

We will be doing temperature probe tests soon and we will see.
I though it was 11F though I may be mistaken. Something that might help everybody no matter what you end up putting on your car if anything. That is a thing called Rubatex its a cellular foam that is used to wrap pipes and is sticky on one side and soft flat on the other. I put two layers over the radiator directly under where my CAI is to protect the heat from building up there.

I tested this after a half hr of time trials and had over a 50 Degree F difference! There was a 15 degree difference on the top side of the CAI as well after running. So SEV this might be something you would think about doing as well under your piece. Its going to get hot one way or another but insulating it might be a help.
Old 10-17-2001, 03:08 PM
Sev

According to Mugen: " if the induction air temperature rises more 3
Old 10-17-2001, 03:55 PM

I like the insulation idea with a CAI or air guide, gonna get that done soon. It's a cheap and efficient way no doubt. Sev, looking forward to hear your tests. I won't doubt it has gains because of the way it's constructed and materials used. Just want to see how things go.

Old 10-17-2001, 08:12 PM
Sev

Originally posted by Takashi KazuMori
I like the insulation idea with a CAI or air guide, gonna get that done soon. It's a cheap and efficient way no doubt. Sev, looking forward to hear your tests. I won't doubt it has gains because of the way it's constructed and materials used. Just want to see how things go.

Temperature probe tests were done, more comming tommorow.

Go to: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=31791

Thank you,

Quick Reply: AIR INTAKE Extensions, need your techincal opinions.