S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

air intake

Old 02-12-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air intake

hi im a new member, i have an 01 S2000 spa yellow and i need your advice about the intake, i bought a replacement filter (cone) ones (knn) i was wondering if can i remove the top cover of the air box filter??? would it affect the engine performance or would the check engine light turns on? thank you very much.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There have been many many discussions on this. Yes, some people remove the airbox cover b/c its louder and people like the sound. Also that just means more heat is going to go into your intake, which isnt good. If you dont care about performance, just sound, its okay. But I would personally just leave it on. No, you wont get a CEL from having the lid removed.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:29 AM

I have mine removed for the winter, but will put it back on once the temperatures break into the 60s again.

The sound is brilliant...nothing like 9krpm through a tunnel with an open intake.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

No, it doesn't effect performance.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:29 AM

My lids off at the mo for the sound and i know it dosn't give you any performance gain. If anything quite the reverse but does anyone know if it would harm the engine? To have warmer air going into the intake?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Knopfler_rocks,Feb 12 2010, 12:29 PM
My lids off at the mo for the sound and i know it dosn't give you any performance gain. If anything quite the reverse but does anyone know if it would harm the engine? To have warmer air going into the intake?
search and search

according to my datalogging data, you'll see a huge jump on intake temp when you get to a complete stop. and for those who wonders, the intake air temperture was not change at highway speed, airbox lid on vs no lid

can't really argue with digital data, right?

the post was made..about 3-4 years ago but it's under my username if you really want those number
Old 02-12-2010, 12:55 PM

i have my whole box , out. I love the sound but planning on CAI soon. I have notice the power drop at stops though.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

My intake temps rarely drop below 100 F with the lid off, even with ambient temps below 40 F and driving on the highway. I'd say temps are easily 20F+ higher than with the lid on when driving, with far less of a difference at a stop (because the radiator heats up the intake air even with the lid on when there isn't airflow forcing the heat backwards). But daaaamn I love that sound when you screaming past a wall or sheer mountainside. I'll put it back on once it gets hotter around here.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:51 PM

thank you very much for all your opinions, greatly appreciated...
Old 02-12-2010, 02:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain,Feb 12 2010, 02:04 PM
My intake temps rarely drop below 100 F with the lid off, even with ambient temps below 40 F and driving on the highway. I'd say temps are easily 20F+ higher than with the lid on when driving, with far less of a difference at a stop (because the radiator heats up the intake air even with the lid on when there isn't airflow forcing the heat backwards). But daaaamn I love that sound when you screaming past a wall or sheer mountainside. I'll put it back on once it gets hotter around here.
um, it really doesn't matter how high or low the outside temperture, it's the heat from your engine/exhaust mani that give the intake air a good amount of heat boost at stop light.

the test was done at night, don't get me wrong you'll see the intake air temp raise with the lid on too but it's no where near as drastic and hot with it off.

as far as temp, it's not noticeable at highway speed since it's incoming air from the frontal area is pushing the hot air from the bay back.

Quick Reply: air intake