S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Air Filter

Old 03-02-2001, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Richard and JR users,

The JR filter can be made to fit the car BUT it is not a drop-in filter. Others may disagree and that is fine.

To some extent it depends upon what folks consider to be drop-in. You cannot install the JR filter without the filter contacting or pressing on other parts of the airbox in a manner not experienced with the OEM air filter design. For example to jam the intake tube on tight enough to get the collar to seal to the air box, you need brute force and/or heat and/or lubricant. You are also likely to exert lots of force on the filter's nipple (which has broken off in some instances) and also the lower air box dividing wall. I would not be surprised to hear that this filter permanently expands the intake tube entrance. Some people may not care about this possibility but if this occurs, the fit of a stock air filter will then stink. Perhaps in that instance a hose clamp would help out.

FYI I have emailed a number of folks and the filter manufacturer before my post on this problem. Also I have received emails from forum members since then.

A number of folks who got the filter in properly did so by deliberately neglecting or innocently overlooking the intake tube to air box exit sealing collar. That seal is there for a reason. Besides keeping some hot air out, it allows the tuning of the intake to function as intended. While we are on the subject, notice the extra airbox cavity sitting in the lower right as you view from the top. It connects to the main airbox by a port which you can see in the bottom of the air box in the RHS near the engine. This serves to fill-in a small flat spot, most likely shortly before VTEC. Additionally, the diameter/length of the main air path has resonance characteristics. Just like subwoofers (whether sealed or ported or whatever), you need a good seal in order to achieve the intended design.

The JR filter could be made to fit much better with a minor design change. Good flow and good fit are not mutually exclusive. Engineering and R&D are important IMO. Others may disagree.

Stan
Old 03-02-2001, 05:51 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 148 Likes on 97 Posts

Obviously this has become a crusade. I would suggest that if there are Individual problems that you take them up with mingster since he has asked for people to post on the car talk forum regarding this.
Old 03-02-2001, 05:54 AM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by E30M3
I would not be surprised to hear that this filter permanently expands the intake tube entrance. Some people may not care about this possibility but if this occurs, the fit of a stock air filter will then stink. Perhaps in that instance a hose clamp would help out.
Did you read my post above? If you leave the OEM spring-metal-clamp-thingy off, then it should be much easier to insert the JR filter deeper. Have you tried this??? ALSO, leaving this spring-metal-clamp-thingy off (and saving it) will allow you to put the stock filter back on and still get a good fit -- even if the rubber slightly expands!!

But I guess I'm assuming there is a spring-metal-clamp-thingy in that groove!! I must say I'm not 100% certain -- but both the Civics I've owned, the Prelude I have, and at least two other Integras that I've looked at ALL have a spring in that channel (see red arrow in the picture in eariler post). I would find it very odd that Honda used the same earlier design but didn't follow through with a spring-metal-clamp-thingy -- like they've always done in the past (from my experience)!?!?! Hmmm....I guess I'll take a look this weekend...
Old 03-02-2001, 07:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I never had one in my S2000, the metal-spring-thingy

OH yeah, the stock filter is pretty tight without any metal-band-spring-thingy too, lol.

[Edited by cmnsnse on 03-02-2001 at 08:33 AM]
Old 03-02-2001, 09:59 AM

ruh-oh...

ok everybody, simma down now! I understand where everyone is coming from here and no one has really crossed the line yet, but I'm just going to step in now and tell everyone to please watch your posts on this and keep things on a technical, not personal level. There's no sense making enemies over the fit of an air filter. Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this thread just in case, but everybody just make sure to re-read your posts before you hit that "submit" button. Like I said, no one's been really out of line yet or anything, but I just want to make sure it stays that way.
Old 03-02-2001, 10:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just sharing a laugh and some knowledge.
Old 07-29-2001, 04:07 PM
Banned

Crikey this is silly. At Asheville I demo'd the JR install and did it seamlessly in 45 seconds with no blood, sweat, tears, whine or cheese. Tim for Import Development was there timing and took the pics. I guess I just don't see what you guys are seeing.
Old 07-29-2001, 07:04 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I just happen to have a JR and a K&N. I ordered my JR from Richard and the performance improvement was obvious. Likewise with the K&N (just received from Martel). I switched to the K&N only because they sponsored all my sport bikes, the ones I raced before I got married. So I took the JR out, cleaned it, and oiled it. Yellow S2000 was gonna drop by and pick it up, "gratis". Side by side the units are near identical. I told him on the phone that there were two main differences:

1) K&N was much softer rubber and I thought this may have caused some of the noted install problems (i.e. the tit....love that word....on the JR was hard while the K&N was pliable.

2) The number of pleats on the K&N was slightly less then the JR. I thought (seat of pants) that the K&N was a little stronger, but I should note the JR had picked up a lot of stuff (read cottonwood).

Cleaned the JR and left in in the sun to dry.....100 degrees today. When I retrieved the filter the once hard tit was now very pliable? I firmly believe any install problems (mine fit fine) may be temperature related.....