S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Air Filter

Old 02-23-2001, 10:36 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally posted by se-r
Is there a noticable difference with the JR filter?
The better question is. Is there a noticable difference with any replacement filter in the stock box?
Old 02-23-2001, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO the JR filter is not a drop-in replacement.

You can get it in with some effort though. When I tried to help a friend "drop" it in we eventually gave up and decided to revert to the stock paper filter. Which reintalled in a few seconds. True "drop-in". This was in cold weather conditions.

The JR is stock height but has a pronounced flare at the filter exit. Which prevents the black intake tube it plugs into from being able to fit as closely to the filter base as the OEM filter. Which then complicates getting the sealing collar around the intake tube OD to fit into it's position in the airbox exit. We may have been able to get the intake tube collar to seal at the air box exit if we used a hairdryer to soften and warm the black tube. Or by slitting or trimming the tube. I don't know whether the tube if jammed onto the filter would eventually take a pernmanent set. Which might concern some people.

Another option might be the ITG foam filter which can handle flows corresponding to around 270-280 Hp or so. It's popular on early and late M3s and would require the use of a hose clamp to secure it to the intake tube. No nipple would be used or needed in that instance since the supporting element would be the intake tube. The stock filter needs the nipple support cuz the press fit into the intake tube needs supplementary locating and securing assistance.

Stan
Old 02-23-2001, 04:36 PM

Richard:

What about this fit problem? I thought the JR was a drop in?
Old 02-23-2001, 04:40 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the JR and it WAS a drop in replacement.
Old 02-23-2001, 05:03 PM

>>I have the JR and it WAS a drop in replacement.<<

!!!!

Not with the airbox / JR filter we tried out. To me, (I may be alone here) drop-in means just that, that it goes right in like stock with no mods or side effects or hassles at all.

In our efforts, if you jam the filter into the intake tube as hard as you can, it won't go in as far as the OEM unit. Since the OEM filter has an outside diameter comparable to the tube's inside diameter. While the JR rapidly increases in diameter as you get closer to the base. The flare you can see in the PICs.

You can see that JR tried to deal with this by using a flexible nipple. (Stock is rigid) If you assemble the bits and reach under the filter you can feel that the flex nipple allows the filter to move more towards the dividing wall past the nipple hole. It's "trying" to provide more room. The collar on the intake tube seals the airbox and we found that is was so difficult to get the nipple in place and the collar in place that we went back to stock. Which, again, went back in with ZERO effort in seconds. Drop-in.

With warmer weather it might fit more easily, with the caveats I mentioned in my other post. I don't see how it will install as easily as stock though. Which is what we had expected.

I've emailed other folks about this and noone so far seems to feel that they go in as easily as stock. I emailed JR about this and got a reply back in a few hours stating that I was wrong. I emailed them back with more information and still await their response. It's been many days so far.... They did confirm that it was made for the car and not a lucky close coincidence part. If the filter was a hair shorter it would be much easier to drop-in and would retain the airflow advantages of the flare.

Stan
Old 02-23-2001, 05:10 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Stan,

Don't know what to tell you. Maybe I got lucky but I had more trouble getting the stock filter out than I did putting the JR filter in. It was tight but not enough to cause any significant problem.
Old 02-23-2001, 05:26 PM

Let me show you a PIC to illustrate my point.

If you look at Mingster's post showing the filter in the airbox lower half you'll see what I mean. He called this a "perfect fit". The post to which I refer is the second one down from the top of the thread, URL below. This post begins with the pic of the yellow box.

http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...p?threadid=5063

Just to be clear, the sealing collar in question is "below" the EE on the Neuspeed tower brace. In the pic you can clearly see that the collar is displaced to the right of it's normal position. If the air box top was put on, the collar would not be in the stock position. You can get the cover on if you ignore the collar, using a different part of the tube (left of the collar) to pass through the air box exit. Maybe you can jam it in and get the cover on while exerting pressure on the intake tube. That is not what I'd call drop-in. Maybe this is easier to do in warm weather when the plastic is more flexilble.

For those unaware of the appearance of the stock filter, it looks similar in form to the JR but the OEM filter has a straight exit tube without the pronounced flare. So the intake tube can fit up closer to the filter base which in turn allows the collar to easily fit into position with no special effort.

Were you able to drop it in and get the collar in place as easily as stock? We weren't. We found the stock filter to align perfectly, and install and remove was a snap. No forcing or jamming at all.

Stan
Old 02-23-2001, 05:31 PM

i was worried my JR would require cutting (it was also a cold day) as i had the same issues. took a big old nick out of my thumb trying to ram the filter in to the tubing.

Richard suggested heating up the black tubing with a hair drier and then inserting the filter. worked like a charm. first try.

given this, i would say it *is* drop-in (in warm climes). and it can be drop in (in any temp) if you warm things up.

oh, and the collar fit fine (just like OEM) after the heating.
Old 02-23-2001, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by Strike
I have the JR and it WAS a drop in replacement.
Same here! Although it did require a little effort, a quick push, to get it in far enough for the airbox cover to fit back on. I guess the Texas climate made it easier.

[Edited by joe_s2k on 02-23-2001 at 06:43 PM]
Old 02-23-2001, 05:46 PM

The filter itself seems to be well made. We did sand the filter's tube end to remove some rough spots and flash. I'd like to see them improve the fit. If the corrugated portion of the filter was a fraction of an inch shorter it would be utterly and totally drop-in without side effect or issue or potential intake tube stretching. Which is what people such as myself would prefer. I don't think my friend will be using the filter even when the weather does finally warm up here in CT. We'll see.

>>i had the same issues. took a big old nick out of my thumb trying to ram the filter in to the tubing.<<<<

Needed to install "perfect" fitting "drop-in" filter:

1) Hair dryer or warm day.

2) Band aids for cuts and injuries.

3) A macho ram it in attitude Go for It. GO GO GO.

4) A devil-may-care attitude about stretching the intake tube or bending your lower air box divider - hey I'm only leasing this car!

5) Tube of epoxy to glue the rubber nipple back on - which has broken during the ramming process for some folks.

6) Sticker for air box top..WARNING stand back when removing cover..filter may pop out like a jack in the box.

7) Just kidding guys!

It would help if Richard revised his claims and mentioned some of the install issues up front. It is still a good filter for those who don't want or need a true drop-in approach. IMO.

Stan

[Edited by E30M3 on 02-24-2001 at 07:01 AM]

Quick Reply: Air Filter