S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Aftermarket Radiator-Anyone have one

Old 06-22-2002, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

read www.s2000.org install hondadata gasket.

This gasket costs 60.00, Honda could manufacture this gasket, but to manufacture this on a mass production, I don't know why they haven't. This has been brought up many times.

Texas weather is the best place to test something like this.

The gasket is slowing down heat soak and absorbing it I am sure, possible keeping it with in the head but at the same time, the coolant is doing it job and extracting heat and passing through the cooling system. Marcucci's testa show a 25 degree drop in intakemanifold temps and a 50 degree drop I believe at location in between intake manifold and front of the head.

Read his write up on the subject very detailed with excellennt data collected. Check it out, I am sure you will als find all the other threads and information on this topic. It is very interesting, I have been lucky to see the results first hand. I could touch the intake manifold after 1.5 hours of driving.

Explain that?
Old 06-22-2002, 12:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CMiS2K
[B]read www.s2000.org install hondadata gasket.
Old 06-22-2002, 02:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by rocketman
... the heat problems are caused mainly because of high intake air temps, causing the ECU to retard timing.
I think you have it backwards. I believe that heat problems cause higher intake temps and retarded timing. It is not the other way around. If your intake air temperature is high, then there will be less oxygen in the cylinder, which will be mixed with less fuel and retarded timing. This will generate less total heat in the engine. If the intake air temp is cool, then there will be more oxygen, mixed with more fuel, and advanced timing. This will generate significantly more total heat.

The trick is to prevent the extra heat from circulating back to your intake.
Old 06-22-2002, 02:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by CMiS2K
hondata gasket would reduce the intake temps....gernby?
Sure, under most circumstances. I think it has a big effect if the engine starts out cold. If the engine sits for a bit after a drive, then the intake will be heat soaked, and it will take a long time to cool back down.
Old 06-22-2002, 02:23 PM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SECRET AP1
[B]

i think you misunderstood my comment. it's plain and simple that the intake manifold isn't as hot as it would be with a normal gasket. anyone can see that. but there is no way of knowing where the heat is going. your assumption is the coolant is able to pull away all the excess heat..
Old 06-22-2002, 02:26 PM

thanks for the links and confirmations.
Old 06-22-2002, 02:32 PM

I have read both of these thread links and based on information that is documented and proven. This is something that I am going to do.
Old 06-22-2002, 05:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by CMiS2K
I have read both of these thread links and based on information that is documented and proven. This is something that I am going to do.
I wouldn't say "proven". I have taken some measurements, but not a scientific study. When I do rolling start drag races with TypeSH, there is very little difference. I don't think it has really gained any outright power. The only benefits I think I have actually noticed are when it is particularly hot outside.
Old 06-22-2002, 05:53 PM

do you guys think that an S2000 would benifit from lets say a Spoon thermostat/thermoswitch/rad. cap combo in the Bay Area, CA (more specifically, on the Peninsula)? the temps here, even in the hottest of summer afternoons, barely reach mid-80s, with mid 60s being the norm year round. and the car wont be raced on a track.

do you guys think anything could be gained from that combo of three parts for this climate, or would it be a waste of money?
Old 06-22-2002, 06:32 PM
Former Sponsor

I wouldn't expect that it would do anything for you. There are a lot of people that don't think it does much for any climate. I think that it helps here in Texas, where it gets into the 100's in the hottest part of summer. When it gets that hot, the ECU starts retarding timing, and the car gets very sluggish.

One downside to the cooling mods is that it may increase wear on the engine. A hotter engine has better wear characteristics, plus it is important for the cooling system to prevent temperature fluctuations. Since the colder thermostat and fan switch will not increase the efficiency of the system, you may find that under certain driving conditions, the system will get hotter, then cooler, then hotter again... The stock system is more likely to keep a steady temperature.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radiator-Anyone have one