S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Aftermarket Radiator-Anyone have one

Old 06-20-2002, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Radiator-Anyone have one

Does anyone have an after market aluminum core high capacity radiator?
What kind?
Who did you get it from?
How much was it?
Has it improved any performance?

This is what I found.
Best price as of now is Mugen is and it is 800.00 from King Motor Sports. Has anyone got one from them?
Old 06-20-2002, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are looking for increased performance during the Texas summer months, I think you'll be fine as the car is right now. but if you are looking for a radiator, there are a few that I can import, and they aren't much cheaper than the Mugen from King MS. Thing is... is it something you need? is it something that you are trying to correct with the car? if not, then I would rather point you in the direction of: water wetter, rad cap, thermostat.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:07 PM

Installed spoon stat and switch. Cap on order and did redline water weter. I think that the car was designed for Northen states. I have someone pricing a comptech s/c I may do this sometime soon, if he can get it better than anything that I have seen on the site.

Not a matter of need right now. Wanting in put from people who have one, point is did it help or a waste of money. KMS has the Mugen on both of there S project cars.

This is a small engine that runs hot. I am going to do the Hondata by pass gasket, in the next couple of weeks, gernby and marcucci both have them, after traveling from DFW area to Mineralwells, 1.5 hrs minimum, I could touch the intake manifold after they pulled in, I was there for 45 minutes before they showed and I still couldn't touch mine.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting! might be a good mod, but heck, not sure if the radiator would help reduce the conduction of heat. I'd probably get a header and jet hot coat the thing before I blow money on a radiator. (have DC SS jet hot coated myself).

as far as SC's go... not sure if I've received any inquiries from you or not, but you are more than welcome to inquire for Vortech or Comptech SC's. =)
Old 06-20-2002, 04:10 PM

Let see what my friend in the import business can do. I will see what he pitch's me and I will send the pitch to a fellow TX'n S owner-schatten.

I have the DC Sports header, came in last night, the SS looks so nice, just hate to coat it and hide the luster.

marcucci-s2k owner, not a retailer or wholesaler of the product. Has put together an excellent write up on the hondata gasket. www.s2000.org

His reports claim 25 degree drop in heat of the intake manifold.

His car runs like a beast at the 2 cross' I been to.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You may have a heat problem after the S/C, but the tests that I have done, show that my stock radiator is able to cool sufficiently. Even idling for an extended period while parked, the stock radiator kept up with the cooler thermostat and switch. A better radiator won't do anything, unless the one you have isn't able to keep up with your thermostat. Check out https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=67421
Old 06-21-2002, 02:37 PM

The hondata gasket will be the next thing that I do.

Many concerns that I have had were cleared in that write up Gernby, thanks.

I will most likely s/c later this summer, after some other things are looked into. I really think I will have to run lower compression pistons on 7-9lbs of boost, I will also go with Vortech, becuase of the intercooler.

This was the feed back I was looking for thanks!
Old 06-21-2002, 02:41 PM

I thought about getting a bigger radiator to mitigate heat effects on the S2000, but I don't think it would help any (even though I was assured by someone that it would solve the problem).

If we didn't have sufficient cooling capacity now, we would have even worse problems. Unless you are really stressing the system (autox, circuit racing), I think all a bigger radiator would do is make your thermostat cycle more. The engine is designed to operate at a certain temperature range, with the thermostat cycling open/closed to maintain that temperature range.

Besides, the heat problems are caused mainly because of high intake air temps, causing the ECU to retard timing.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:48 PM

hondata gasket would reduce the intake temps....gernby?
Old 06-21-2002, 02:56 PM

here's my question about the hondata gasket...

even though your lowering the temp of the intake manifold, the heat doesn't just disappear. the heat that was once being pulled away through the intake manifold is going to build up behind the gasket anyways right? in a case where you start the engine, let it warm then do a quartermile run, i'm sure it's a great investment, but for an event like a track day at Thunderhill or an autocross, would the gasket really improve any upon anything? (wouldn't you think that Honda would have though about this when designing a gasket?)

just wondering.. not be mistaken for playa hatin' Hondata

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Radiator-Anyone have one