S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Aftermarket LS Differentials?

Old 11-20-2001, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket LS Differentials?

I just saw the aftermath of some failing bearings in my differential. They've been making considerable amounts of noise for the last 12,000 miles or so. A leaking case, hence low fluid, probably contributed to the bearings' demise. The LSD contained within the case looked very similar to the one in my old Miata. Can anyone with an aftermarket unit or mods (Kaaz / Comptech) share any experiences or advice please? I have a window of opportunity while everything is disassembled awaiting parts (from Japan).
Old 11-20-2001, 06:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Reverand has one.. may PM him.

BTW, there is one for sale that may be had at a discount..

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&highlight=kaaz
Old 11-20-2001, 10:26 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a Kaaz and I hate it!
Most others seem to like it; Wes, SilverSurfer, Rev, Shad (Comptech) but the LS action is too aggressive IMHO. It's been quoted as one of the best handling mods by more than one person. I think the reason most people like it, is that it makes the car understeer when powered and if you let off slightly the car will close up your cornering radius as the diff LS action is reduced. The problem is, the understeer is gained at the cost of less overall cornering ability since it's actually the result of the rear tires fighting each other in an effort to go straight. The other slight annoyance is the car wants to go straight and you need to break the diff free to get off center (the feeling is very subtle, but bothersome when you
Old 11-21-2001, 05:58 AM

Wow, RT - I am surprised. Are you sure you didn't use a 2-way? My car really doesn't understeer at all, but that may be in part due to my springs (HKS).

Did you break yours in properly? I've heard improper break-in can absolutely ruin these things.

With mine, if you take a corner slow and you stomp on the gas, you get some understeer. If you take it too fast and you stomp on the gas, you get some oversteer. If you take it at anywhere near the right speed and you feather the throttle properly, it's dead neutral, predictable, and easy to control. The only draw back I've noticed with my car - and this is probably a combination of the diff and the springs - is the car is a bit twitchy once you get some real oversteer. When it breaks free, it breaks free FAST. If you're on the ball and correct for it, it steps back in line just as fast as it got out of line - which can actually be just as bad since I've noticed this builds enough momentum to create a tendency for it to want and get out of line a little in the opposite direction (like with trailing throttle oversteer). But even this really isn't a major problem. I've driven the car quite a bit since I got my Kaaz(including in the rain, on bald tires) and I haven't spun out once.
Old 11-21-2001, 10:10 AM

I don't recommend the Kaaz. It feels the same as stock, to me. The draw-back that bothers me is the occasional clunking/grinding at slow speed turns, such as out of parking lots, etc. It's diminishing slowly through time, but still there - it's quite annoying and can be LOUD. Yes, the LSD was broken in, I even had Honda do it, it just still makes some noise during slow speed (5 MPH?) turning.
Old 11-21-2001, 11:02 AM

I'm very pleased with the stock setup of my car. Changing the handling characteristics is not what I'm looking for. I'd hoped to find a differential with a bit more longevity. Comptech had some mods for the diff, any experiences?
Old 11-21-2001, 12:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wesmaster
[B]I don't recommend the Kaaz.
Old 11-21-2001, 03:34 PM

A Cusco 1.5Way LSD is good ... Other than frequent differential oil changes, there is no other maintenance. Grips the car like a 4WD when handling twists and corners. And yes, it is a competition type LSD and you feel like. How does it feel like? Quite like a Helical 1.5Way LSD.
Old 11-21-2001, 04:58 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally posted by Takashi KazuMori
A Cusco 1.5Way LSD is good ... Other than frequent differential oil changes, there is no other maintenance. Grips the car like a 4WD when handling twists and corners. And yes, it is a competition type LSD and you feel like. How does it feel like? Quite like a Helical 1.5Way LSD.
Taka, is the Cusco a friction disk type action?
Old 11-21-2001, 05:41 PM

BTW, RT and Wesmaster - are you both using the Kaaz gear oil? If not, that's your problem. It's expensive, but you absolutely MUST use it with these diff's.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket LS Differentials?