S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Aftermarket Exhaust: Seeking updated info

Old 12-23-2002, 07:17 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Aftermarket Exhaust: Seeking updated info

I have now looked at a number of old threads about exhaust systems but I don't think any of the threads I found do a very good job collecting all the basic information about all of the systems currently available that run from the converter back. I am sure that by now some of you have tested and compared these systems more thoroughly, including dyno tests.

As I see it, there are six basic areas of comparison: power increase, weight reduction, ease of installation/quality, sound, appearance and cost.

I propose (respectfully ask) that owners and tuners with experience with one or more exhaust systems (single or dual) post the basic information about systems they have tried, tested or used on this one thread for members to use as a reference. I think members would be very interested in verified dyno results, especially for systems on otherwise stock vehicles, as an aftermarket exhaust is one of the few modifications an autocrosser can make to the engine and stay in the stock catagory. This would be very helpful for all members and especially those who autocross their cars. Dyno results on cars with other mods should list those mods.

I think it would be more helpful to the members if posters describe the sound or post sound clips rather than explain how much they like the sound of a system. Likes and dislikes are very subjective.

I hope some of you will agree that this thread will be helpful and share your thoughts.

Thanks for your time.

Bill
Old 12-24-2002, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill,

This sounds like a great idea to me, as I am also interested in exactly the same information.

The thing I'm afraid of is some deafening resonance at a specific RPM. I was frankly amazed that the stock system was so well engineered -- but I would personally like it a little louder over the whole RPM range, and of course higher performance is always appreciated. Did you notice the engineered stub on the stock system? I was impressed when I noticed this tuning stub the other day, while I was under mine installing an X-Brace, and doing an oil change.

Kind Regards, and Happy Holidays, Chris
Old 12-24-2002, 10:19 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the support. I haven't gone under mine yet, but will soon.

I have heard so many random comments about exhayst systems ranging from the reasonably priced Spugen to the high priced Mugen that I thought it would be helpful to ask all the knowlegable folk to provide basic, updated, verified information on one thread.

I think there was something wrong with my post earlier because it seemed that even I couldn't reply to my own thread. It looks like it is fixed now and I hope members will share their information.

Bill
Old 12-24-2002, 10:46 PM

By the way, manufacturers and distributors should feel free to post on this thread too. I think as long as you identify your affiliation with a particular system, everyone would appreciate hearing the manufacturer's own information, especially the specifications and quality of the components and any side by side comparisons.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 12-25-2002, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This link will help out alot:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/sos_resource...son/default.asp
Old 12-25-2002, 01:14 PM

S2K Fever,

Thanks for the table. That is a good start. I was hoping to create something similar with more information in all 6 catagories of interest.

Weight and power are to very important elements for me. I would understand and accept a higher price for a system that reduced weight and increased power. I guess I am surprised more owners, tuners and suppliers have not offered information yet. I guess everyone is busy with the holiday. I hope more of you will post soon.

Merry Christmas.

Bill