S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Aftermarket Air Filters...

Old 09-06-2006, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Air Filters...

I am interested in purchasing an aftermarket airfilter for my AP2. I was wondering if there are any performance differences in the various filters available. For example, the Comptech filter costs around $60 and claims to provide 3 HP. None of the other air filters make claims about the horsepower they put out. Also, why is the Spoon airfilter so expensive (often goes for well over $200, but never makes any power claims). Can anyone provide some advice? Also, if there are any dyno charts on this topic I would love to see them. Thanks.

-Will
Old 09-06-2006, 06:07 AM

none of them will give any power unless you buy a cold air intake system. the reason spoon is more expensive is because of the name
Old 09-06-2006, 06:16 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

K&N claims added HP and "driveability" (throttle response).
On the website they show dyno's of S2000's with a complete system IIRC.
I'm using a K&N drop-in (in the OEM airbox).
I haven't really driven much with the paper filter to notice a difference so I can't say I did.
Great + for re-usable filters is obvious.
Some may say that paper filters better.
Its all a trade-off.
Change your oil, do a UOA and if it shows high levels of silica (sand) change it more frequent or use another filter medium.

I've used a K&N in an Accord for 160k km (from 80k - 240k km) with no problem.
Engine was running good (no oil usage) between changes.
But I never did a UOA on the oil to confirm.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your best bet for a drop-in stock replacement air filter is the AFE, which is similar to K&N but a bit better in quality. They claim more airflow too, but who knows. The price is slightly higher than K&N, but not bad. Either would be a fine choice. I highly recomend you stay away from the Comptech; its a foam UNI filter which flows less and filters worse than the cotton-gauze style filters.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you hear that? I always though oil foam filter provided the best combination of flow and filtration. They are quite messy to handle though.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KstreetDC,Sep 6 2006, 07:07 AM
For example, the Comptech filter costs around $60 and claims to provide 3 HP.
Such HP claims are within the error (or background) of most dynos and thus, become somewhat suspect. You can do 10 dyno runs and change nothing and have a range of numbers that far exceed this claim. It's the marketing boys that will take all the positive numbers and publish only those.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 6 2006, 11:54 AM
Such HP claims are within the error (or background) of most dynos and thus, become somewhat suspect. You can do 10 dyno runs and change nothing and have a range of numbers that far exceed this claim. It's the marketing boys that will take all the positive numbers and publish only those.
That being said, what your opinion of aftermarket airfilters?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

I have a JR Filter,and I like it.
Low restriction,while maintaining adequate filtration,good quality,perfect fit and re-usable.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KstreetDC,Sep 6 2006, 11:27 AM
That being said, what your opinion of aftermarket airfilters?
Till the S2000 came along, I've always been a strong proponent of K&N re-useable filters. I like the fact that they could be cleaned and that they flowed so well. Some may regard these 2 factors as negatives, but that's the price you pay for a little bit better performance. I say "a little bit better", NOT in any instrument measureable way, but rather, in the way the engine responds and feels with one in place.
Some people fear that because these things flow so well, they are letting in too many contaminents. Well, that's what the engine oil is for, right? And we do change it on time, right? And to me, cleaning it when I think it needs to be cleaned allows me to "commune" with my car and know how it's doing. I can see what tried to get in and that let's me know what kinds of driving environments the car has been through.
When I said "till the S2000 came along", I meant that the OEM paper filter for our cars do a really good job at filtering and flowing. And so long as people don't cheap out and replace it regularly, there is nothing wrong with it. The biggest problem is many people don't check it regularly nor do they even understand when it should be trashed and replaced. But then, these same people should NOT be using re-useable ones, either.
PS. I also use a JR, which is very similar to the K&N.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 6 2006, 02:32 PM
Till the S2000 came along, I've always been a strong proponent of K&N re-useable filters. I like the fact that they could be cleaned and that they flowed so well. Some may regard these 2 factors as negatives, but that's the price you pay for a little bit better performance. I say "a little bit better", NOT in any instrument measureable way, but rather, in the way the engine responds and feels with one in place.
Some people fear that because these things flow so well, they are letting in too many contaminents. Well, that's what the engine oil is for, right? And we do change it on time, right? And to me, cleaning it when I think it needs to be cleaned allows me to "commune" with my car and know how it's doing. I can see what tried to get in and that let's me know what kinds of driving environments the car has been through.
When I said "till the S2000 came along", I meant that the OEM paper filter for our cars do a really good job at filtering and flowing. And so long as people don't cheap out and replace it regularly, there is nothing wrong with it. The biggest problem is many people don't check it regularly nor do they even understand when it should be trashed and replaced. But then, these same people should NOT be using re-useable ones, either.
PS. I also use a JR, which is very similar to the K&N.
What size JR filter fits an AP2? I am looking at their website and they do not have a direct drop, but you can order by size.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Air Filters...