S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Aftermarker header vs Stock (metal used)

Old 02-13-2006, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarker header vs Stock (metal used)

I've owned two different headers for the S and i don't like the sound that either of them made. It sounds like an exhaust leak, and i know it's not. I've read it's due to the thinner runner walls or thinner metal used to manufacture aftermarket headers. Does any header, Mugen, Comptech, Toda... NOT sound like it has a leak. Primarily coming fom the collector area. The thinner walls allow for the pulse/flow of the exhaust gases to be heard or to make this noise. What metal are stock and aftermarket headers made of? Thank you
Old 02-13-2006, 04:51 PM

+1 for Ricks ...it made that noise too..I thought it was install error...lol. I know it can't be me ... if I tighten it anymore the bolts/nuts will break.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:56 PM

Yeah it makes the noise, Ricks and Megan Racing are the two headers i've owned. I want to know what materials are different in the stock and aftermarket, and if there are any headers out there that do not makethis noise.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:47 PM

Received 465 Likes on 397 Posts

But they weight less;can't have your cake,and eat too.!!!
Old 02-13-2006, 06:06 PM

This applies to aftermarket header for not just the S. From my experience with the miata, yes there are aftermarket headers with nice and thick coating that make less of that noise. Stainless-steel and lightly-coated mild steel headers are more prone to the noise. Flex-pipe helps reduce the noise dramatically but there isn't enough room to have that in the S. I ended up wrapping my mild-steel header and the noise was totally gone. Be cautious though that people always say that wrap may crack the header.

I guess the noise problem explains why the stock header is so damn heavy.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:19 PM

Received 465 Likes on 397 Posts

There is a Megan in F.S.for $325.00,for that same reason.!!!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:31 AM

Yeah that's mine. I know if you want lighter headers something has to be different and that tends to be the material used.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:12 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Have you removed all of the heatshields from the stock header to see if you can hear the noise? The heat sheilds have styroform in them, and I will bet that is why you don't hear the sound. I will also assume that you did not install the OEM heatshields on the Rick's header when you ran that (or whom ever had it)

Comments?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:15 PM

I installed every single heatshield with ricks header, that's the main reason why Rick's was my first choice header. The stock one right now only has the top shield, since all the other onces have been bent out of shape from previous installs. That's why i wanted to know if there was any difference in material. Also used new gaskets and donut gaskets in all installs, when installing back the stock one i used the old ones so i guess it most be material, thinner walls... etc
Old 02-14-2006, 02:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, you're really selling your headers because they make too much sound? Why did you buy an aftermarket header to begin with? If you can't deal with a little extra noise under the hood, I can't fathom what would motivate you to buy an aftermarket header to begin with.

BTW... I have Toda, and it makes a "hissing" sound, too.

Didn't notice if this had been answered, but aftermarket headers are generally stainless steel and I believe the stock header is just regular steel. And, yeah... the difference is probably in the thickness.

Quick Reply: Aftermarker header vs Stock (metal used)