S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

after trans fluid change, 1st & rev difficult

Old 12-10-2014, 07:15 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts
Default after trans fluid change, 1st & rev difficult

About a month ago I changed trans and diff fluid. Immediately after, the car was very difficult to get into 1st or reverse when starting out. Once I drive it and its warmed up, its fine. Its been like this since. Its worse when its colder out (no surprise). Again, it was fine right before fluid change, was not first drive after and to this day.

This is my second such fluid change. I used the same stuff as last time, which for the trans is Amsoil synth MTF. I know its properly filled, car was level, etc.

Clutch fluid was changed several weeks before trans fluid. So it should not be at issue since it wasn't touched between when it was fine and when issue appeared.

I drove it last year (and year before) until real winter set in, which means in temps much colder than now, and never had any issue.

Issue started immediately after trans fluid change, but its the same fluid that was used last time. Its properly filled. Clutch fluid was not touched during this service. What else is there?
Old 12-10-2014, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could help, but unfortunately I got no clue whats going on with your car. I hope someone who has more knowledge than me can chime in. Good luck
Old 12-11-2014, 11:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Post a link to from Amsoil's website or a picture of the product that you used.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Double check the bottle that you used and post the information for the fluid here.

Also, this transmission can be finicky when it's cold. How are first and reverse once the car warms up? It is winter after all, so that might have something to do with your issues.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one time I tried Amsoil MTF, I could barely get in 1st and reverse (2nd and 3rd also had a bad grind). I replaced it with GM Synchromesh after about 200 miles (best MTF for me).

Unless they've changed their formula, I don't know why it would go from good to bad for you........
Old 12-12-2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh
Double check the bottle that you used and post the information for the fluid here.

Also, this transmission can be finicky when it's cold. How are first and reverse once the car warms up? It is winter after all, so that might have something to do with your issues.
As clearly stated in the original post, its fine once its warmed up, and I drove it last year and year before deep into winter, in temps much colder than now, without this issue.

As stated in original post, its Amsoil Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=MTFQT-EA
Old 12-13-2014, 06:45 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

id try some new fluid see if that helps. its cheap enough
Old 12-13-2014, 05:12 PM

Appreciate the suggestion. But I would think the only reason that would fix anything is if I got a 'bad batch' of Amsoil trans fluid. That seems...highly unlikely.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the same that I use in my 04, with 55k miles, and I'm going on my 3rd year in a row using it, having used Honda OEM, and the GM Synchromesh before that, and it seems to be a little better than the other two, but in the cold here in Indy, I have always "double-clutched" it going into 2nd and maybe 3rd for the first couple of shifts, no matter what I use, but it's fine after a few minutes.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:12 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Any chance you didn't put enough into the tranny? Or that it leaked out somehow?

Quick Reply: after trans fluid change, 1st & rev difficult