S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

After Storage Procedures

Old 02-22-2008, 03:37 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

thanks--I didn't know gas would remain stable that long on its own!!
(and thanks--I did mean "peace"!!!)
Old 02-22-2008, 07:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

FTR - I stored my car for just shy of 3 years. I stored it with nearly a full tank. I used Chevron gas with Amsoil fuel stabilizer and Redline SI-1 fuel treatment. I drained the tank before puting my S2000 back on the road, but transferred the fuel to my rental vehicle - and used all the gas in the rental (cheap - I know).
The gas had a normal in color (clear with a very slight tint of yellow), smelled normal, and the rental ran perfectly (better than with the cheap gas I had been running in the rental previously). I wouldn't worry about the gas (...as long as you use a quality fuel).

As for starting your car... I'm of the camp that you don't start the car unless you're going to drive it for at least 20 minutes. My car was never started over the nearly three years it was in storage.
I put oil in the top of the cylinders, cranked it over by had (with the plugs out), and then pulled the cams to ensure the valves were all closed - so that no valve springs compressed for 3 years.
BTW - once I got everything put back together, my car started instantaneously. That was a fantastic feeling.

Once again - 3-4 months is really not a significant storage period for a car.
Here's some suggestions: purchase a can of engine fogging oil and spray a little in each one of the spark plug holes as you roll the motor over by hand a few times - you can spray some into the intake manifold as well; disconnect your battery and charge it up before reconnecting it; I would NOT let the suspension just hang - If you're going to bother to put it up on jack stands, then pick up some RV adjustable stands to slightly load your suspension (wheels off); I would change the oil and filter before restarting your engine.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Feb 23 2008, 12:45 AM
I would NOT let the suspension just hang - If you're going to bother to put it up on jack stands, then pick up some RV adjustable stands to slightly load your suspension (wheels off).
This is an interesting detail that I had never considered about car storage. I'm curious about the rationale. Is it an attempt to not have the suspension bushings stressed?

When I set up my Miata on coilovers, one of the race shops gave me the advise of pre-loading the suspension before tightening down the A-arm mounting points. That way there was no "wind-up" on the pressed-in bushing when the car was sitting on the ground, and even moreso under compression. I had not realized before that pressed-in bushings contributed to spring rate. Consequently, if the bushing is in a neutral state when the car is sitting on the ground, having the suspension droop would stress the bushing.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=slipstream444,Feb 22 2008, 08:45 PM]FTR - I stored my car for just shy of 3 years.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:16 PM
VAD

"Slippy"?!?!? Show some respect for an upstanding member of the community, or I "prophecy" a short time before you're no longer around.

On the other hand, if you're for real, can you site a source for your claim that Amsoil fuel additive is "devil's brew"?
Old 10-25-2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Feb 22 2008, 03:38 PM
"Chevron gasoline can be stored for a year without deterioration when the storage conditions are good -- a tightly closed container, moderate temperatures, and out of direct sunlight. " Chevron USA
Sorry for bringing this thread from dead but I have a quick question and could not find in search.

Do you have to have climate controlled storage if you are storing S for 3 to 4 months?

And about the quite, what is considered moderate temparature. What if the storage is not climate controlled and it would get freezing in the storage too?
Any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Old 10-25-2009, 01:03 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by S2k_MoZo,Oct 25 2009, 01:05 PM
Sorry for bringing this thread from dead but I have a quick question and could not find in search.

Do you have to have climate controlled storage if you are storing S for 3 to 4 months?

And about the quite, what is considered moderate temparature. What if the storage is not climate controlled and it would get freezing in the storage too?
Any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks in advance
You can put a gas stabilizer in the tank. Some folks like to use seafoam, but there are others out there. Whatever you use, I'd go easy on the car until you run it out of the system.

I believe moderate is 50-65f.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:47 AM

So you should use climate controlled storage for the car if you are storing for 3 to 4 months so that you don't run into issues after you take it back out?
Old 10-26-2009, 08:57 AM

there is a storage procedure in the manual.

id add gas stabilizer to the tank and fill it with premium to avoid the condensation/rust issue.

also i wouldnt raise the car on stands those are the chassis points for lifting not fo storage. leave the weight on the wheels. every now and then maybe start the car drive it out of the garage in one big circle and put it away to lube the rear diff, tranny and move the tires to a new spot.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:58 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by S2k_MoZo,Oct 26 2009, 09:47 AM
So you should use climate controlled storage for the car if you are storing for 3 to 4 months so that you don't run into issues after you take it back out?
Most storage units are vented, unless it's expected to hit well over 100f outside I see no upside.

3-4 months is not long term storage, it's just storage. Personally, I'd put a gas stabilizer in the tank. Fill the tank and park it on blocks - only because I like to save the suspension - but it's probably not required. Disconnect battery (probably over kill)

When you come back. Put the car on the ground, connect battery, fire her up and let her warm up. Look for visable issues, checking air in tires.

Then I'd drive her easy until you drain the take. Refill and live man.

Quick Reply: After Storage Procedures