S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

After Market Catalytic Converter

Old 07-18-2021, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question After Market Catalytic Converter

What are people's thoughts and experiences with the Walker and Magnaflow Catalytic Converters? I'm 9 months overdo on my registration because I can't pass my California smog with a P0420 code and need to get this repaired as soon as possible. I wanted to go with a factory replacement but it is on back order for a while now with no accurate ETA so I almost feel like I have no choice but to go with another aftermarket one. I did so several years ago with an unknown brand and it failed after like 6 months so I was hesitant to repeat the same mistake. Many shops are saying they come with a 5 year warranty from the manufacturer but I'm also hearing mixed reviews on whether those warranties will be honored. Any thoughts while I make some final decisions this week would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2021, 04:27 AM

Received 1,231 Likes on 1,075 Posts

OE converters turn up here from time to time and there's an astounding number of "Ebay" converters at reasonable prices.

My Berk high flow passed Ohio smog (ECU check) but I have no idea how it would work in California.

-- Chuck
Old 07-19-2021, 06:52 AM

Received 174 Likes on 132 Posts

Before purchasing an aftermarket catalytic converter, you should verify that they are indeed California legal.

Would an o2 sensor spacer be noticed by the smog technician? If not, you might as well put one on to erase the p0420 and hold off for a new OEM catalytic converter. I am yet to see an aftermarket catalytic converters match the quality of OEM one.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:54 AM

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,023 Posts

You should have started 9 months ago. There is a nationwide shortage of Cats. Bigtime thefts in California. My son got nailed (Honda Accord) and I had a shop well hard stainless bars on both sides of my Jeep and Tacoma cats to slow down theft. My S2000 is always garaged so I have not done anything with it yet. Most people I know having the Cat replaced by a legal shop after theft are waiting 6 months to get a new one in Sacramento.

You will find Ca legal Cats online but discover in the shipping part of the cart it is unavailable. Maybe you can find an OEM one on eBay. Maybe it is a stolen one. Who knows?

My 2009 goes in for the smog check and all they do is hook it up to the ODDII port and perform a visual. They do not run it or measure emissions. Not sure what year is the cutoff for that.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:09 PM

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...0-fix-1174894/

Get an O2 defouler and complete the drive cycles required to reset the readiness codes. Depending on whether or not your smog guy thoroughly inspects your car you should be okay. Billman says 90 degree defoulers are more effective on 06+ (DBW) cars and I can confirm that from personal experience. Definitely worth trying while you're waiting for a replacement cat.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:52 PM

I'm pretty sure the cat is just bad. I've tried absolutely everything for almost a year now. So well over 9 months ago. There's been months I haven't been able to drive the car because of multiple surgeries but even then my mechanic friend was driving it and couldn't get the code to go off. He agrees the cat is just bad so either I wait around for an OEM that could be on back order for quite a while or I have to go with another aftermarket and that's why I was asking if anyone has had any experience with the Walker or Magnaflow cats specifically on their s2000. Mine is a 2006.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:53 PM

I'm pretty sure the cat is just bad. I've tried absolutely everything for almost a year now. So well over 9 months ago. There's been months I haven't been able to drive the car because of multiple surgeries but even then my mechanic friend was driving it and couldn't get the code to go off. He agrees the cat is just bad so either I wait around for an OEM that could be on back order for quite a while or I have to go with another aftermarket and that's why I was asking if anyone has had any experience with the Walker or Magnaflow cats specifically on their s2000. Mine is a 2006.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:20 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I will probably go with a ballade sports cat once my oem dies. With the heat shield on there it will pass visual.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:39 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

...you can also diy weld your own heat shield brackets onto whatever cat you use.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesD89
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...0-fix-1174894/

Get an O2 defouler and complete the drive cycles required to reset the readiness codes. Depending on whether or not your smog guy thoroughly inspects your car you should be okay. Billman says 90 degree defoulers are more effective on 06+ (DBW) cars and I can confirm that from personal experience. Definitely worth trying while you're waiting for a replacement cat.
I would not recommend trying to pass smog with a defouler - I tried the same around a year ago, and the tech immediately noticed it and failed my test. When I came back on a different day with everything removed and 100% stock, they would not let me re-do the test - I was sent straight to the state ref.

I passed there but it was way more of a headache than just putting everything back to stock the first time.

Quick Reply: After Market Catalytic Converter