S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AEM's ECU Replacment Computer

Old 11-06-2001, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by S2peed
Hondata is currently working on a ecu programing for our car but the bad news is that they said dont expect anything till six months from now
And when they do complete it, expect to swap your ECU with an old OBD-I model. I'm not sure how much that impacts the S2000. You guys don't seem to have things like dual intake runners to worry about. As for how an old OBDI ECU would react to an engine going 9000 rpm's, heh, that'll be an interesting one.

Cheers,
Ben
Old 11-06-2001, 06:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marcucci
[B]

Am I missing something? Isn't this a standalone ECU? Regardless of who's connector it has on it, I think this qualifies as a genuine standalone unit- it does what they all do, PLUS controls VTEC which most can't. It's just plug-and-play with Honda in mind.
Old 11-06-2001, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bgrubin
[B]
And when they do complete it, expect to swap your ECU with an old OBD-I model.
Old 11-06-2001, 09:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marcucci
[B]

The S2k/RSX/2K1 Civic are distributorless with no ICM like most Hondas. The spark for each cylinder is discrete, something the OBD1 ECUs can't do- therefore an OBD1 ECU won't work with some additional hardware. I've asked Doug at Hondata if they had investigated this, but so far, he's been tight-lipped. I suspect they will do that or come up with their own box, I doubt they will be able to reverse engineer the Honda ECU (it just isn't worth the investment at this point).
Old 11-07-2001, 09:21 AM

Doug has ordered some chips for the F20C ECU. Delivery is 12-14 weeks, so any development process will be awhile.

I think a better hope is the new RSX ECU. Its flash programmable from the factory. If the boys at Hondata can figure out how to get into it, Doug thinks it should be retrofittable to the S2K without much difficulty.

As for $1800 for the AEM, shoot, if I have to spend that much and lose factory features, I'll just spend another G and go for a Motec. Individual cylinder mapping on the ignition and fuel. Resolution on the ignition timing down to a quarter degree, closed loop operation even at WOT (o.k., that's an expensive option for the wideband O2 sensor).

BTW, factory Honda MAP sensors are good to 10-11 psi with more than acceptable accuracy. Above that, the ubiquitous GM MAP is preferred.

UL
Old 11-07-2001, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by ultimate lurker
- snip -
I think a better hope is the new RSX ECU. Its flash programmable from the factory. If the boys at Hondata can figure out how to get into it, Doug thinks it should be retrofittable to the S2K without much difficulty.

How do you/he know this? This is a shocker to me- I'd be focusing on how to reprogram it. Do you know if the ECU is flashable, or the processor? I might have to try and pick one up and take a look at it...

As for $1800 for the AEM, shoot, if I have to spend that much and lose factory features, I'll just spend another G and go for a Motec. Individual cylinder mapping on the ignition and fuel. Resolution on the ignition timing down to a quarter degree, closed loop operation even at WOT (o.k., that's an expensive option for the wideband O2 sensor).

So what are you wanting? I'm sure AEM will incorporate the AC function since it's on all new Hondas. What else is there? We don't have ATTS, we don't have an auto tranny, and the immobilizer is worthless to me (thieves can get around it anyhow). What else is there? It will control VTEC, NOS, boost, and *most* of what a $1k more expensive ECU will do. Honestly, I'd rather save $1k and have something that doesn't require hacking of the factory wiring. I'd rather do that than spend $150-$300 on an adapter harness (but I'm just funny that way).

BTW, factory Honda MAP sensors are good to 10-11 psi with more than acceptable accuracy. Above that, the ubiquitous GM MAP is preferred.

So I assume the real problem is that the factory ECU doesn't like boost? So we could use it, as long as the ECU doesn't think boost is "wrong?"

UL [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 11-07-2001, 12:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bgrubin
[B]
And when they do complete it, expect to swap your ECU with an old OBD-I model.
Old 11-07-2001, 06:31 PM

marcucci,

I don't know what exactly is flashable, only that it is. Doug has done more investigation, but every Acura dealer (and I think the new Civic has this as well) has a CD-ROM and a machine that allows them to flash the ECU. In fact, we were getting reports that all the new RSX's were being flashed after delivery, perhaps with updated code?

As for the AEM vs. MOTEC vs. other, I'm of the mind that about $1000 for a Zdyne/Hondata unit is the most I'll pay for what I consider a 'compromise' system (even if they are very good ones, remember I own a Zdyne gold). Above that point, I'm more tempted to just go for the best and maximize everything. Seems to me that all one needs to do is get Apex-i to do a version of their F-Con (I think that's the name) computer for the S2000. The Civic version is quite good and goes for about $1k. Allows programmability, FI, etc.

On the MAP, you're dead on. I run about 8 psi on my CRX and I use the factory MAP with my Zdyne gold. I also use the stock fuel pump and fuel regulator (but my injectors are twice normal size - 450 cc/min). Hondata has some interesting info on their site about fuel pumps. At normal fuel pressures, most Honda pumps are more than capable of supporting double their normal hp. It's only when you up the fuel pressure that problems occur (as in most kludge fuel setups on most FI kits).

UL
Old 11-07-2001, 07:27 PM
Ben

Just letting you all know that Bulletproof has the lowest price on all AEM items from their Cold Air intakes to this Engine Management application.

Anyone serious about purchasing this product, email me for pricing.

Ben@BulletproofAutomotive.com
Old 11-08-2001, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by marcucci
So I assume the real problem is that the factory ECU doesn't like boost? So we could use it, as long as the ECU doesn't think boost is "wrong?"

UL
Absolutely, the factory ECU does NOT like boost. There is actually a sensor in the ECU that reads ambient barometric pressure. This value is compared to the output of the MAP sensor and if the MAP pressure exceeds atmospheric pressure (boost), the ECU thinks it's an error condition and starts doing funky things.

For the comptech SC, the workaround is a mechanical check valve to bleed off excess pressure before the MAP sees it. This is a less than ideal situation.

If someone comes up with a replacement ECU and the cost doesn't force me to sell one of my kids, I'll buy it!