S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AEM's ECU Replacment Computer

Old 11-06-2001, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paging Mr. Mingster!!!! He's our man... take a class and become a disty for AEM!!!
Old 11-06-2001, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by cjb80
he said some applications require you to change the map sensor, probably would not have to do this for the S2000, IMO) .. the web site would have info on it on Friday.. they are planning to offer a boost controller which would plug in to "GM" (???)
NA car MAP sensors are not designed to accurately read boost - only vacuum. This certainly includes the S2000 MAP. Most people who go with boost use a GM MAP sensor. I forget what car it comes from (something old), but it's something like a 2 or 3 bar sensor, so it's made for high boost.
Old 11-06-2001, 06:13 AM

I'm assuming you loose all the "creature comforts" the stock ECU provies like the immobilizer, keyless, etc. What about the digital dash display? The stock ECU is so highly integrated into our cars that it might even controll the windshield wiper delay
Old 11-06-2001, 06:17 AM
pfb

I would consider something like $800 for a replacement ECU, but $1,800 just seems completely over the top...
Old 11-06-2001, 07:22 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by koejing
[B]I'm assuming you loose all the "creature comforts" the stock ECU provies like the immobilizer, keyless, etc.
Old 11-06-2001, 10:25 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bgrubin
[B]
This could be very interesting for someone in my position (I have a Prelude SH which relies on the stock computer to deal with the ATTS system).
Old 11-06-2001, 01:11 PM

That does seem pretty high. You're approaching the area where it would almost be better to go with a stand alone engine management. For that price it should include the laptop to tune it with.
Old 11-06-2001, 01:52 PM

Hondata is currently working on a ecu programing for our car but the bad news is that they said dont expect anything till six months from now
Old 11-06-2001, 02:18 PM

Ok, I have been down this road. Let me tell you a couple of things that resellers forget to metntion.

1. Replacing the entire ECU can be tricky...yes the AC switch point has to be considered, our cars have electronic power steering (not sure if the ECU handles it).
2. Stock Map. Driving the car with a turbo on it does not mean that the stock map will work out so well, it WILL work but at times, tip-in may cause hesitation.
3. Ignition control, unless you are going to be using race gas or tuning the "edge" of your motor, the standard .5-1 degree retard per pound of boost works great. MSD6BTM handles this (which you would probably buy anyway) and does not cost near 2k (no pun )
4. Tuning with a laptop. Ok guys here is where the fun begins with an intercooled turbo setup. The outside temp will cause wild swing in tuning. We were trying to figure out on one of our racecars why the car would get loose on only one place on the track....there was a huge tree casting a shadow on the track and the air temp was different enough that the HP output went up causing the car to break the tires loose. I cannot stress this enough!!! Every 5 -7 Degrees cause the A/F to change due to the intercooler. When you hook a a good A/F gauge, you will see this happen...trust me. So the pitch of "multiple fuel maps" is really saying "yes, you will be able to store all your maps that you have to create for different outside Temperatures."
5. The GM map sensor works great, the 3 Bat unit is stout and has no problems, but keep in ming that you need to retrofit to the Honda..not a big deal, but if done wrong....causes some trouble.
6. Fuel pressure and pumps. Make sure that the AEM unit can idle those 550's without manipulating the rail pressure. Those are big suckers. And yes, they are great. You will need a fuel pump if you go up in the boost. Pressure and flow are different issues. I have seen pump hold the pressure, but once the injectors get up to the highe end (aka 9000rpms) you are going to need to flow some serious juice.

That is for now, I am leaving work. Just my 2cents.
Old 11-06-2001, 02:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by derryck
[B]That does seem pretty high.

Quick Reply: AEM's ECU Replacment Computer