S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AEM V2 problems?

Old 12-22-2004, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM V2 problems?

recently the topic "cel" on the Aem v2 came on.

was just wondering if this was a major "cel" problem?

I plan on buying one pretty soon. but now might reconsider.

I had bad experience in the past about "blitz shor ram intake" for my then wrx.

could not get rid of the cel. so ended up wasting close to $300 at the time.

don't want to do the same mistake.

Please :confused: let me know if u have the following problems.

1. hiccuping when u have the intake on, what i mean is when stepping
and letting go of the gas, and u get a little noticable jerk from the car.

2. cel ever goes away when wiring done right.

thanks for the help :)
Old 12-22-2004, 06:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's an intake. There is no wiring involved. Only vacuum lines. And this is the main reason why the S2000 gets a CEL when an intake is installed. The vacuum lines usually gets crossed because the installers doesn't keep track of where the lines go (like the instructions tell you to do - MARK ALL LINES). The other reason is for some goofy reason, people take the check valve off and put it back on BACKWARDS.
A CAI for this car does not make it jerk unless the jerk was already there from before. And the CEL is not a problem. It's installer error.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:51 AM

well sank u very much.

forgive me if i messed up on my saying.

no sh#t there is no wiring. what i meant was the hose routing.

as far as the jerking (hickuping), i got that from my previous experience on my old WRX.

i also got the CEL on it because of the MAF sensor, air flow was changed and the computer couldn't figure it out.

i need to know if after all is done (correct routing of all the "Hoses") will there be a "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT"

i have a my04 with only 2k miles on it from 5 months of driving.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by KAI-MIKAZEE,Dec 23 2004, 10:51 AM
i need to know if after all is done (correct routing of all the "Hoses") will there be a "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT"
No! If you get one, it won't be because the intake is on. It'll be because you hooked something up wrong. AEM CAI and CAI in general have been used on this car since it was born. Every single time a CEL came on after an install, it was because the installation was bad. The other really remote incident is if you over-oil your filter (to the point of almost dripping). This can contaminate the MAP sensor.

You should be more concerned about ingesting water with an AEM. This is not from driving in heavy rain, but more from parking in heavy rain as the first portion of the pipe is pointed upwards and there is a hole in the fender just above the filter where the water falls in. Also, you can't be driving into deep water that would submerge the filter.

This car is different. You're worried about the wrong things.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:06 AM

thanks viper

will the "air bypass valve" from AEM help?

do u like ur cai?

maybe just maybe i might buy one now.

thanks again
Old 12-23-2004, 10:19 AM

Yes I was also curious about the the optional Air Bypass Valve AEM offers. I live in Miami and flooding... well.. it's miami....
Old 12-23-2004, 11:12 AM

The AEM intake originally was designed to be a performance intake and a CAI. It has been reported that the by-pass valve negates the performance aspect of the intake and it may even compromise some of the "cold air" abilities of the intake. If you elect to get the by-pass, you may as well not bother. There are other intakes where water is not an issue and will maintain the benefits of the intended purpose.

If you do decide on the AEM, get it without the by-pass and make yourself an "umbrella" like many have done or buy the umbrella from a commercial maker. I've seen a nice chrome one done up by Injen (I think). With the umbrella, you still can't drive into a deep pool of water, but you'll never need to worry about the car being out in the heavy rain.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:12 PM

AEM's bypass valve isn't compatible with the AEM v2 CAI anyways. I have a AEM v2 on my '04 S2000, don't really notice any significant power gains ... throttle response is a little better and the car sounds a lot nicer, but thats about it.

Like xviper said, if you're worried about rain get the Injen heatshield or make your own umbrella.

This place sells it for $46.95
Old 12-24-2004, 08:54 AM

Hey between the comptec icebox and AEM V2 which would be a better to purchase? Because I am thinking of replacing the AEM CAI to a V2 or a comptec icebox since comptec specialize on Honda. Please help me out.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fobolous,Dec 24 2004, 10:54 AM
Hey between the comptec icebox and AEM V2 which would be a better to purchase? Because I am thinking of replacing the AEM CAI to a V2 or a comptec icebox since comptec specialize on Honda. Please help me out.
I would go with the Comptech or even the K&N "kit". I've had the AEM and it was OK, but it just doesn't make for an attractive set-up. The other two would make for much easier filter access.