S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AEM V2 installation

Old 05-14-2005, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM V2 installation

Ok, yes I have read the installation in the FAQ (which doesn't mention anything about having to buy new hoses that will fit) and the vacuum post which didn't answer my question.

On my CAI, of the 2 pipes that branch of for the hoses, the smaller one doesn't even come close to fitting stock. I mean, at least 3 inches away and matching size to the metal pipe that needs to be connected to it. You would think that you could run a hose between the 2, but the metal pipe sticks right into the intake piping itself. Did I get the wrong CAI?

In case I didn't, I figured I would have to go get a hose myself and replace the metal pipe so it would fit the intake. But, there are 2 other pipes welded to it that I would also have to replace.

Are there any instructions with pictures for this? Anyone want to help me out?
Old 05-14-2005, 01:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe AEM was supposed to supply the longer hoses.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:51 PM

Ugh

Thanks for the info. Was it just one longer hose? If so, what do you do with the other 2 pipes welded to that one?
Old 05-14-2005, 02:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2 other pipes? i'm confused. you mean that steel assembly that has more than one hose connecting to it?

FYI, I was missing a hose and was able to get it at auto zone. you should be able to take your stock hoses to any auto parts store and buy the hoses you need.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:42 PM

Ok great. And yes, I mean the 2 other pipes welded to it. What do I do with those?

Looks like I am going to pick up the hoses at a autozone.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I just helped install the V2 on another owner's car last week. The "pipes" you are talking about is called the "tubing loom".
The largest connects the front top of the valve cover to the intake itself to get air and to release gases into the intake. There should have been a length of hose and a couple of clamps to do this.
The next largest tube is a coolant line, so be prepared to soak up a bit of fluid if you decide to take out the loom. The kit should also contain a hose and 2 more clamps for this.
The other two smaller lines are for vacuum and is part of the secondary air injection system (emissions). If the tubing loom gets removed, you'll need the longer vacuum hoses to make up the difference.
When I did the installation, the owner decided to leave the tubing loom for now. All that was needed was to use the hose to connect the valve cover to the intake as the AEM has the inlet at a different location than where the tubing loom ends up.
I also had to extend one of the vacuum lines using a length of the provided vacuum tubing supplied. Did you not get all the hoses and instructions?
Old 05-14-2005, 04:09 PM

I bought my AEM V2 used, and it didn't come with any extra hoses. The two thin hoses didn't seem to fit, but I undid them from where they started and swapped the longer one with the shorter one, and everything worked out just fine. I attached the (thing the hoses were connected to) to the bottom bar and secured the hoses together so they wouldn't hit any belts. I didn't have to cut anything. I can post a pic if you need any more info. It was quite easy. (moyopoyo helped me with the install, which I greatly appreciate)

--
Brian
Old 05-14-2005, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,May 14 2005, 03:51 PM
... All that was needed was to use the hose to connect the valve cover to the intake as the AEM has the inlet at a different location than where the tubing loom ends up.
...Did you not get all the hoses and instructions?
So the very top part of the 3 welded pipes was just left empty? This sounds ideal to me because I would rather not have to re route all of the vacuum lines. Not a big deal, just something I don't feel like dealing with.

And no, no pipes came with it (it was used). Just the 2 pipes, filter, and all of the "joints"
Old 05-14-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hamiy,May 14 2005, 06:34 PM
So the very top part of the 3 welded pipes was just left empty?
Not sure what you mean by "empty". If you mean can you disconnect the hoses from them and just not use the loom, then yes, as long as you use longer pieces of tubing to take its place.
There should be no mystery to that tubing loom. It only acts as a extension conduit (or bridge, if you will). You can remove the conduit if you have some alternate way of making the bridge. The simple way is to just use a single longer piece of rubber tubing.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:16 PM

I meant that nothing connected to the top pipe, it just sat there? It doesnt look like you can put anything in its place because the part that would normally hook to the stock exhaust pokes the rubber sleeve and covers the pipe.

Quick Reply: AEM V2 installation