S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AEM, rain, stalled,

Old 04-19-2005, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AP1ByDesign,Apr 19 2005, 06:13 PM
Glad to see there were no problems Joe!
i know man!...i was so pissed that i was ready to trade this sucker in!
Old 04-20-2005, 04:25 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW

$20.00 shipped for peace of mind.

I also plugged the drain hole just in case.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Banned

If the bypass valve is worthless, then why did ol boy with the NSX at AEM (when they first designed and introduced it) make an extended tube section for his intake, place the filter fully submerged in a tank of water and stomp on the throttle to prove the piece worked?
Old 05-11-2005, 06:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ishift@9,May 10 2005, 09:25 PM
If the bypass valve is worthless, then why did ol boy with the NSX at AEM (when they first designed and introduced it) make an extended tube section for his intake, place the filter fully submerged in a tank of water and stomp on the throttle to prove the piece worked?
I don't think it's "worthless" in terms of doing what it was designed to do - to reduce the risk of sucking up water. However, in terms of what it does to the product as an intake, it diminishes the efficiency of it. That is to say, the presence of the by-pass valve during normal running disrupts the airflow enough to negate the performance gains of a CAI. It can also let in hot air, which is the whole point of a "cold" air intake.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:41 AM

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

xviper (or anyone else for that matter), what do you think about the product that SPLNDID linked to earlier in this thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...T&f=5&t=274942

Do you feel that a product like this would provide the benefits of a CAI (reduction of heat soak) while at the same time, reducing the possibility of water ingestion compared to other CAI alternatives? I know, X, that you haven't had water issues and have the fender hole over your intake plugged and an umbrella over it as well (I think).

I just think the product looks cool and I like the fact that it uses the stock air box, doesn't change the intake sound, and should provide a cooler air charge in a hot environment. This would be cool unless I am increasing my chance of water ingestion.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:57 AM
Former Sponsor

That thing will have 0 chance of any water getting in it unles you pour it in yourself.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt,May 11 2005, 09:41 AM
xviper (or anyone else for that matter), what do you think about the product that SPLNDID linked to earlier in this post:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...T&f=5&t=274942

Do you feel that a product like this would provide the benefits of a CAI (reduction of heat soak) while at the same time, reducing the possibility of water ingestion compared to other CAI alternatives? I know, X, that you haven't had water issues and have the fender hole over your intake plugged and an umbrella over it as well (I think).

I just think the product looks cool and I like the fact that it uses the stock air box, doesn't change the intake sound, and should provide a cooler air charge in a hot environment. This would be cool unless I am increasing my chance of water ingestion.
Just to clarify, I no longer have an AEM type intake and when I did, I wasn't all that concerned about water ingestion since I rarely parked the car outside in heavy rain (it doesn't rain hard here much anyway). It was through my experiments (and others as well) that I determined how water was most likely getting in for most of those who reported such an occurence. As a result, covering that fender hole and adding an "umbrella" was the answer.

That rad panel, IMO, is mostly a "dress-up" item as I don't consider that it would do much to change how water would get into a stock intake. Rarely, have we seen reports of water ingestion on an OEM intake. In those 1 or 2 cases, I think there were other circumstances that we were not informed of. The stock intake design, if left alone, is quite conducive to keeping water out of the engine. Examine the intake horn, the lid itself and the two chambered design and you will see that it is made in such a way that the first chamber is a water catcher and this is IF any water even got that far. There is even that slanted airguide to deflect any large quantities of water that may make its way up to the intake horn (which is quite high up and shielded by the hood from above). The CF rad panel may, in fact, limit the amount of heat that can accumulate around where the air goes into the airbox, making for a "slight" improvement in terms of intake air temp, however, only placing a temp probe in the air horn before and after this mod will tell. Nevertheless, insofar as water ingestion, this panel would have little affect (good or bad).
Old 05-11-2005, 10:48 AM

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Great, thanks. Mostly I just think it looks cool. Nothing wrong with that, I guess.