S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

aem intake + rain channel = paranoia

Old 08-28-2003, 06:54 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default aem intake + rain channel = paranoia

My daily driver is in the shop for a blown tranny... so I was forced to drive my S to work today and its been pouring non-stop since 7AM, a tropical depression is passing through. I am EXTREMELY worried because I have the AEM Intake, with no bypass valve. A friend of mine told me that the rain channel is directly above the filter and pours water right onto it. Is this true???? Has anyone had problems with your AEM Intake from starting it up after its rained for 10 hours straight???? I'm considering not even turning on my car and towing it back to my house when I leave work at 6 tonight.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The only way it could be a problem is if the car is parked on a heavy incline. It would have to be such an incline that the filter would be a few inches above the lowest part of the intake pipe. I have an AEM (no bypass) on my S2000 (daily driver), and I haven't ever had any problems during rain season. Just avoid really deep puddles.

Recently, we had some SERIOUS storms that I had to drive through on my way home from work. The roads were partially flooded, and I have my fake duct cut out. I didn't have any issues.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have an AEM intake. Here's my story: At the beginning of this summer, we had a lot of storms here. After my S was just sitting in the rain for about 8 hours (not on an incline). I started it up and it was revving weird, after giving it a little throttle my engine shut down. My engine hydrolocked. I got it fixed, but it was a pain in the ass. I have a bypass valve on the intake now, if I were you I'd shake the intake every once and a while to make sure there is no water building up in the intake (the bottom tubing is flat so it's easy to build up water if it gets in through the filter).
Old 08-28-2003, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tommy, my tech said the same thing {Gernby} stated.

Chris C.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:17 AM

It's not an issue
Old 08-28-2003, 06:48 PM

people are saying its not an issue but there has been more than 1 reported incident of this happing to the car with damage to the engine.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it has happened to me..
it rained like crazy a few months ago. and i didn't drive it for two days. the car was parked on an incline, and i guess the rain just poured into the intake, because when i started her up, you guessed it.. intake full of water. I was smart enough to not push it too hard and popped the trunk. The whole lower arm was filled. I had to take the intake apart.. and a ton of water just poured out.

Learned my lesson. Never have the car sit for a few days in the rain.....
Old 08-29-2003, 03:22 AM
mav

Well I didn't take any chances and had it towed home during lunch yesterday. I took it apart last night, filter was soaked. I'm glad I played it on the safe side...
Old 08-29-2003, 06:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Jeesh. I wouldn't consider having it towed to be "on the safe side".
Old 08-29-2003, 08:20 AM

that was probably a little over board but i can't blame you tommy i would have done the same.

Quick Reply: aem intake + rain channel = paranoia