S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AEM intake installed, I think i lost power

Old 03-07-2003 | 05:54 AM

F*ck this! i tried everything- brand new red AEM cold air FOR SALE 150 shipped everything you need, its three days old and you get the stickers and all

pm me
Old 03-07-2003 | 06:04 AM

A bit late on my response. Vapors2k was able to go faster around Laguna Seca after he switched out his AEM with the stock box/Spoon duct.
Old 03-07-2003 | 08:05 AM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Prolene
[B]A bit late on my response.
Old 03-07-2003 | 08:30 AM

I can see a car "feeling" slower because the AEM changes the shape of the torque curve. But some pretty fast folks (Desert Tortise, Krazik, etc.) all swear by the speed the AEM/Injen has allowed them to pick up on the road course. I noticed a little more top end in terms of trap speeds, but where it really helped was coming out of slower corners.

UL
Old 03-07-2003 | 08:48 AM

don't know if someone posted this before but you need to reset the ECU after every mod. this gives the ECU a chance to remap air/fuel curves for maximum efficiency/hp.

the easiest way to reset the ecu is just to simply disconnect the negative terminal from the battery(but you lose all your settings in your radio).

leave it disconnected for 5-10 minutes.

put back the negative terminal.

turn on car, but make sure all accessories are off(radio, a/c,, etc...)

let the car to idle for 10 minutes or so, and don't push the gas pedal....let it idle by itself

turn off car

wait a couple minutes

next time you turn on your car,everything should be good to go

btw we did a couple dyno runs on my brothers ITR. before his turbo setup, he had an AEM CAI and put it on the dyno without resetting the ECU(just to see the difference). we got a number, say 178 whp. we then reset the ecu and followed all appropriate steps. we put it back on the dyno and we got around a 5-6 whp increase! reseting the ecu helps a lot.
Old 03-07-2003 | 08:55 AM

My brother has a bone stock s2k and I have one with just aem cai. Both of our cars are 01s. He has 16k I have 60k on the odometer. Ever since the cai was installed, I have pulled on him every time. Makes a difference imho.
Old 03-07-2003 | 09:09 AM

Originally posted by RazorV3
the easiest way to reset the ecu is just to simply disconnect the negative terminal from the battery(but you lose all your settings in your radio).

leave it disconnected for 5-10 minutes.

put back the negative terminal.

Please check out my posts earlier in this thread, including the one with the pics.
Are you sure you work at a Honda dealer? From this and some of your other posts you seem to be lacking a bit of knowledge about this Honda.
Old 03-07-2003 | 09:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RazorV3
[B]don't know if someone posted this before but you need to reset the ECU after every mod.
Old 03-07-2003 | 10:10 AM
Former Sponsor

I don't think the ECU reset really changes things as much as you think. I know that the ECU will make significant changes to fuel trim and timing if it detects a problem, but if everything is running as it should, it should be pretty consistant (at WOT). I did a bunch of pulls on a dyno with air / fuel monitoring a few months ago. I reset the ECU, drove around for a week to let it learn, then went to the dyno. I did 5 pulls, then reset the ECU and did another pull. There was practically no difference between the last pull on my "learned" ECU and the next pull on the reset ECU. I think the biggest change from an ECU reset will be at partial throttle.

Old 03-07-2003 | 11:00 AM

Hallelujah!!!

I can finally stop repeating myself because other people get it!!!

Thank you MacGyver and Gernby. From now on, you two can be in charge of policing dyno practices, cause I'm tired of it. :-)

UL

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B]
3) Your dyno setup was severely compromised.

Quick Reply: AEM intake installed, I think i lost power