S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AEM EMS Vs Electromtive TEC3

Old 06-04-2002, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to hear peoples opinions on which is better. I may be asking for trouble by saying that I know "Wes" is having troubles with his AEM system but has anyone used a TEC3 from Electromotive on a S2000 yet? I was set on AEM but the lack of a decent tuner here in Oregon is a major drawback. I found one but they specialize in Electromotive products. They say they can do a AEM system but haven't done many. Should I go with a system in which they know or start looking for another tuner out of state for AEM?

Thanks!!!
Old 06-04-2002, 04:39 PM

TIMMMMMMMMAAAYYYYYY!
Are the TEC3's even out yet?
Old 06-04-2002, 04:44 PM

TIMMMMMMMMAAAYYYYYY!

According to their Electrotives website and Matrix Engineering (the tuner I talked to). They said they just finished installing one for a customer.
Old 06-04-2002, 04:46 PM

I don't want to start a flame war... but I think you would probably be better off with an Electromotive kit... whether TEC 2 or 3. At least people have seen them before. The AEM kits are just too new right now.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:04 PM

I just want a quality product that is not going to have major issues. I live to far away from any type of tuning shops to make weekly trips to get the bugs worked out. The Aem system is less expensive (about $500) but I think if I go with a system that they know it might be cheaper in the long run. Not to mention I am running low on hair to pull out if I do have problems The less headaches the better as long as I don't sacrifice quality and my car in the process.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:49 PM

I've only heard and seen good things about the TEC3's -- I've seen the interface Electromotive uses for tuning, and it's quite user friendly and very very robust!
Old 06-04-2002, 06:28 PM

It is always a good sign if it gets the Shamu seal of approval Once I get everything put together I think a trip to BC would be a nice break in drive. Maybe some time in August we can plan a Pac NW get together.
Old 06-04-2002, 07:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by emc2
[B]It is always a good sign if it gets the Shamu seal of approval
Old 06-04-2002, 08:50 PM

Hey guys.. Just wanted to add my .02 here. As you might know, I am running the AEM EMS with many other mods to include the new Toda Cams. I will be the first to admit that the EMS has been quite more work than I would have originally thought. I think that Wes' case is quite unique in that he is running a supercharger and that makes tuning all the more difficult. He's quite brave and my hat is off to you Wes. The original maps that AEM sent with the EMS were crap, I'll admit it. The latest firmware upgrades and the new basemaps, however, will make the car run quite normal, if only a little on the rich side. AEM did this intentionally as it is always better to start on the rich side and take fuel away; have a safety blanket. I've spent numerous hours on the dyno tuning my EMS and I will tell you straight up that I picked up 30 rwhp with the EMS and a lot of torque to boot. The Toda cams have been another story however...

I am making about 12 rwhp more now with the Toda cams, but the real story is in the midrange. The cams make a big boost 4-7k where I think the engine really needs help. The downside is that with the EMS in the mix, my engine has become quite testy.... Crank fuel is an issue now because if I've driven the car for any length of time, the car heats up as it should... Well let us park the car and walk away for say, 10 minutes... Come back, and she wont start up... The problem is that the Toda Cams need a lot more fuel to kick them off.. I've been working hard to tune this issue out, but the problem is so random that it's hard to tell if I've got it right.

Overall the AEM system is awesome. You have infinite control over your engine. You can use it for forced induction, it can control nitrous, and it can even be wired to work as a turbo timer function. You can add injectors with it, do whatever. You can also blow your motor up!!! Seriously though, one plus is that you can lean out your cruising areas of the fuel map so that you make great gas mileage. I am averaging 30-33 mpg on the highway now, as long as I stay out of the pedal...

I would recommend the EMS system to anyone seriously. I would also tell you that if you DO buy this thing, call me and I will give you some serious maps that REALLY work well with the S... I've been tuning with it for almost 3 months straight in this car and I've built many useable maps.

That's about it for me... Little more than .02 huh?!
Old 06-04-2002, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I give you guys a lot of props as being the first to use the aem ems. I think eventually when people done more research and experiment. We will be using this system a lot more. The concept and design of ems is great. But as for right now, I don't like ems. My partner is using the ems on his turbo charged civic b18c. And we are having a lot of problems with it. Have not even start the tunning yet. We Can't even start the car. We went on the aem ems forum. And there are few other people are having the same problem. aem have not been that big of a help. Is there anyone here got any real suggestions? Ham and wes, any ideas?

Quick Reply: AEM EMS Vs Electromtive TEC3